Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Who has Passat rear handles on their 93 VR6?

Hi

I called a breakers yard and ordered a set of Passat rear door handles - de locked - and went to fit them and the pin from the handle is no where near the latch that enable to door to open!

I got the passat rear mechs and handles.

I know from speaking to Bananman that this mod does work as hes done it and didnt have to modify anything.

I am wondering if the G60 is different to the VR internals? It should be as I used teh Passat mechs too.

Maybe the breeakers sent me the wrong handles or a different year to what he said?

I am desperate to find out what the part numbers are and to cross reference them with the part numbers Banana man used.

Any help would be so much appreciated!!! :oops:

i bent the arm on the mechanism to make it work. you also need to remove the pin systems (i think)

Hmmm, not sure about this one. It was just a straight bolt-on swap with my 16v, no modding required. Not sure about the VR, but shouldn't be that different :?

I did try teh mod but it wasnt a straight fit. I had to cut some alloy angle and screw it to the brittke part that normally brakes. I tried bending it first and I knew it would snap so I have got 1 new passat drivers side handle with new mechs. Wetaher or not they send me the wrong year handles, but he said they were for a 92 Passat.

I know you have to take the sloinoid off the old lock and just tuck it somewhere neatly.

I did get the handle to work but it didnt feel right, so I took it off to try and mod if further and it just snapped again.

I will cut the whole bloody door off if I cant get the mod to work or pay someone to flush the handles completey! :mad: :twisted:

Rams, sorry read other post on handles before this one....

The handles sound correct, if they look like the C ones and they fit they should be fine, I think the mechs must be the wrong ones, I know you should get the ones without the child locks but it should not make a difference to where the handles strike...

Do the part numbers match, IE are the midle 3 of the handles and the mechs all 839 (corrado handles are 837) - let me know the full part numbers you have and i will look them up on ETKA!

You need B3 passat rear handles, they need to be modded (the striker arm shortened) for them to work in the corrado (the lock assemblies are all the same for the different years)

http://www.corradog60.de has a write up on one way to mod them

You need B3 passat rear handles, they need to be modded (the striker arm shortened) for them to work in the corrado (the lock assemblies are all the same for the different years)

Eh? - just use the mechs out of the passat that go with the handle, then it should be a straight swap

I took apart the corrado door handle and uses the inner pieces of the corrado handle inside the passat handle so there is no need to screw anything on to that bad alloy breaking thing...

Supercharged, Thankyou! Its still not crystal clear about thi smod, like some people on here saying you have to mod the stricking arm and what not. Thats what I had to do so if the mod can be done which has been proven then once the part numbers have been verfied then anyone that decides to do the mod will have handles that work straight away - without having to drill and bend etc.

Supercharged, Thankyou! Its still not crystal clear about thi smod, like some people on here saying you have to mod the stricking arm and what not. Thats what I had to do so if the mod can be done which has been proven then once the part numbers have been verfied then anyone that decides to do the mod will have handles that work straight away - without having to drill and bend etc.

Passat Rear handles & Mechs:

Drivers Handle 357 839 206

Drivers Catch 357 839 016B

Passengers handle 357 839 205

Passengers Catch 357 839 015B

These mechs are with child locks though - don't matter as long as you don't set them! (glue/weld them off !!! :D :D )

Have a look at this thread...

stormseeker, Excellent mate

The only think is the link Darren added is a pile of you know what! I think it should be erased as firstly the english is very poor, secondly following his intructions will not get you anywhere. In his instructions it says bend the part that strikes the catch, the hole point why we use Passat handles is so that we dont have to modify anything so by using the correct year and mechs its a straight forward hadle and mech change which takes all of 10 minutes to do bith side.

I just want to be sure that these part numbers will fit any C so for people with 16v or G60 they can on these part numbers being a straight forward swap for Passat handles.

Or can anyone tell me that all the C range locking system is identical.

It really did annoy me that I spent £50, fair enough its not a lot of money but to then have to bend then brake the hadle is just not on. I shouldnt have bent it in the first place as thats why my C handle bust because of ages and the metal being crappy metal that just snaps clean off.

The mod does look good and tidy so providing we have got to the bottom of teh handle problem nobody should get as annoyed as me!

Thanks Stromseeker and Craig David. It was on last night, funny as :lol: !

Supercharged, My handles are at home, I will jot down the part numbers so we can note that they dont fit!

They should have sent the matching mechs and if they didnt I will send them back to the breakers yard that I got them from.

All I want is for my handles to work and be de locked and I will get there in the end! I will put the part numbers up later today if my misses is capable of reading them when she finished work before me.

Otherwise it will be tomorrow. 8)

I used the stock mechanism on my 89 corrado and on a friend his 93 corrado the 93 has a bit different looking handle but inside it's the same thing, i just took apart the stock door handle and than put the insides into the passat handles!

The VR6 can't be different than the 16v or G60 the door is exactly the same and so are the mounting points for the locks so if it works it works on all the corrado's!!

Bluxie, I cant take the insides out on my handle as the alloy brittle part has broken off. Thats why IO ordered Passat handles and to make them de locked.

oh, but if the passat lock mechanismes work on a corrado it will work on all of them, there is no difference in the doors well there is one the alloy bar that is mounted in newer models but that doesn't change the door a bit, the alloy bar was on every US model...

But if the combination mechanisme+door handle works on a corrado it works on ll of them :D so get the parts needed end enjoy a nice delocked look

Bluxie, Mate, that is exactly my problem, the passat handles dont fit the Passat mechs, the only combination I havent tried is passat handles with Corrado mechs but I was assured that in order to do this mod without having to modfy the stricking pin etc would go straight on - no problem.

Now, I have a broken passat handle which is on the passenger side of my car, the C one was already broken and I cant take out the screw on the drivers door as its too bloody tight. I have tried bruit force, so I need a power drill to unscrew it. My mate has a snap on one that does wheel nuts up, it does silly torque so that should shock it off in a second. I will try the last combination, but I bet it doesnt work.

At the moment, I have one delocked passenger handle that doesnt work and a c handle on the drivers door that works but I cant take the bleeding thing off! I hope that doesnt bust up on me otherwise I will have to get into my C via the boot!! Classy move rams!

Rams, im pretty sure one of the doors has a reverse thread on the screw that holds the handles on.

Be careful removing that screw Rams, using an Impact driver may work but be careful not to bend the handle into the door skin, I had the same problem, very rusty screw on the drivers side that looked like some muppet had used thread-tight on, maybe they'd used a replacement second - hand handle - I ended up drilling it out, the new handle is fine and the new screw is only done up hand tight, I have taken this off since to grease as I didnt when fitting.

Supercharged, You have just saved my door, my patients and my screwdrivers.

I owe you guys a thankyou. I forgot when I took it off before that it was a reverse thread! Wicked.

Just got a mental image of Rams with his mates super-torquey impact wrench tightening the handle on & on and slowly bending his door till it looks like an opened sardine can :lol: :shock: 8)

nice one!

stormseeker, mate, I already tried a wrench with torque bits / extensions but luckily I saw the hadle move towards the door and thought that it was just to tight and my hands were hurting so I left in in a huff, SWEARING AT THE CAR, AND THE HANDLE THEN TO MY MISSES AS SHE SAID, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? Have you wrecked it!! I could have slaped her.

Thanks guys, why did they make that threat reverse thread? Just out of intrest.

Oh yeah, this will make you laugh even more, I am know for breaking things by over tightening them. All my friends are engineers that I hand around with after work, well most of them and when im doing something to my car under their supervision they always say, carefull you dont over tighten that then all you hear is a snap! I asked him to give me a job the other day, he installs air con and fridges / freezers into vans and he said no way! I know what your like at tightening things up. I can promise you im getting better. Its just my way of thinking that its safe and wont fly off but thats why they invented torque wrenches.

Even the large torque wrench for the wheels, I always have to click it 3 or more time untill my mate comes over and grabs the wrench out of my hand and hits me with it.

Ok, I will shut up now!

dubster82, , sorry, all the credit goes to Joe M. He was the one who saved my patients and door.

Miss read the post, thanks again mate.

If you are going to the CCGB day there will be a cold pint of coke as we are all driving!

Well just bought a passat rear door handle from the scrappy and the strikeing pin is to long so im gonna remove the hole locking mecanism and door trigger unit from the door bend the lock trigger or remove it so its out the way then weld a small piece of plate on the door opeing trigger to extend it out so the striking pin will then hit it, without doing that its hiting the locking trigger, ive heard a lot of ppl say snap the locking trigger off cos u dont need it with delocked handles and it also stops opening the doors with slim jims, if any ones intrested in the way im doing it let me know and ill take some pics tonight while im doing it.