Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

What Clutch?

AmD advised that my clutch would need replacing soon.

What's the best option? Should I go with OEM/Sachs (which are around £120) or a performance clutch such as Black Diamond as they're not much more?

Cheers

Is it not a good idea to fit the VR clutch to the G60 or was it the gearbox? Not sure about that one but I've heard that one of these is a good upgrade. Someone back me up or hit me in the nuts with a cricket bat :D

It all depends on what spec your car is. If it is standered then the likes of a performance clutch is a little overkill. If it is tuned, or you intend to tune it then opt for a uprated one as it will save you money in the long run as the orginal units slip very slightly when they have to transfer high torque which acclerates wear.

We have supplyed Helix organic ones which are a uprated lining with a cover plate that has increased clamping pressure. They supply a paddle aswell, but that is more suited to track applications as the bite is a little more vicious.

Sach power clutches are semi uprated and are widly avaliable, they are a little more durable than the orginal units.

It is worth getting the flywheel checked for truness or excessive wear as some cars have had several clutches in their liftime but the ode flywheel has been neglected to be replaced. A uneven face on a flywheel will kill your nice new clutch in no time so if in doubt, replace it.

get the VR6 spec clutch... no more money than the G60 clutch and more sturdy. like they say, you dont need aftermarket unless you're going pretty deep into mods... the VR clutch is enough for most people.

Thanks guys. Think I need to change my forum name :? as I have a VR6 now.

There's bound to be an AndyVR6- I'll give it a go :D

Yes I was going to say your signature is confusing mate, well, to those that don't notice your username is "AndyVR6" at least :o

How did AmD come to this conclusion then? If the VR clutch is really heavy, it's gone beyond half worn and the pressure plate springs are travelling too far. Mine was replaced at 74K for that very reason, but there was still at least 30K of friction material left, most annoying.

Be warned though, unless you have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced, chances are the new clutch will judder.

Helix Autosport clutches are only recommended for seriously modded cars. They use a SACHS sporting pressure plate, which is heavy. The friction material is stingy too. I had one on my 16V Turbo and it lasted a year. Avoid.

Kev

Kev,

changed both forum name and signature to avoid anymore confusion! :roll: :D

Thanks for the tip- think I'll just go for the OEM/SACHS one. Feels OK to me, although it smells like it's burning sometimes. AmD said the pedal was lifting up too far :?

Cheers

OEM ones are LUK but are reconditioned. SACHS use all new parts.

Mine is new and bites quite high on the pedal, so not too sure how AmD can be sure without stripping it down, but if in doubt, change it out but please get your flywheel skimmed or you may not be pleased with the results.

Kev

Guy,

Yes mate- all it was was the air mass meter in the air intake fitted incorrectly! Can't believe that two other garages missed this, and cost me quite a lot of money (new lamda sensor, leads etc).

Having said that, I'm really enjoying the car now- feels like a totally different machine! :twisted: :D

Well at least it didnt cost you any more cash, Just dont use those garages again Nice to be sorted and enjoying your motor. Had a good run out to the Metro centre in mine, loved it. There was a G60 advertised not to far a way, still have the number, am tempted to give him a ring, just have to get round to telling the misses. One car just isnt enough dear :lol: