Sign in to follow this  
dig776

Anyone gone down the new engine route?

Hopefully this is still a long way off with 135k on the clock but recent oil pressure problems have prompted me to ask. Mainly out of interest but perhaps for the future.....................

Has anyone gone down the new engine replacement route?

I see that Volkspares and other companies do exhange engines for £2050 fitted (although for all that dosh it is only guaranteed for 12 months).

The volkspares engines are just old engines that have been fully rebuilt... We used to buy our Beetle engines from them when I worked as a mechanic and they were pretty good... For the same price you can build something much better yourself though...

vw engines arent too bad...saw an ad for £1400 complete new g60 whole engine

my mate at vw recons alot of the ones they get in are infact brand new and not rebuilt

either way a vag engine has gota last really well

shame you don't live nearer the Northeast cos for about half that we could do the same

Chris

Really??? Thats good to know :wink:

vw engines arent too bad...saw an ad for £1400 complete new g60 whole engine

my mate at vw recons alot of the ones they get in are infact brand new and not rebuilt

either way a vag engine has gota last really well

Yep, I got quoted the same price exchange but that is top and bottom end timed up...

This is my predicament ATM.

is it better to pay for an engien swap or a rebuilld?

Here's a questino then. assuming the labour is carried out by yours truly. How much to rebuild the engine? and what parts are required?

:lol: should keep us busy...

EDIT - i meant a swap i.e. 150 pd or 18T

I rebuilt (fully) my KR engine (that Aposegil's mate's just bought from me) for under £500 about 5 years ago... That included getting the head rebuilt too... 8)

I've got a brand new (from VW) bottom end and rebuilt head in mine - cost a lot but should last years... still need to get it running right but am waiting for winter to kick in before I send it off to Vince 8)

Well this is what I'm thinking, I want to get a flowed KR head on there anyway, should I just go the whole hog and get the bottom end rebuilt as well or are these relatively bullet proof?

Something worth considering is that a rebuilt engine, if done at a reputable place (or DIY), will have more care and attention paid to it and can often result in a better engine that what VW could supply new.

Vince at stealth has seen VR6s with conrods fitted incorrectly, bolts not torqued properly and incorrect parts used...and these were factory engines!

Plus, VW engines will have sat around in a warehouse for ages, so might not be 'fresh' inside.

Anyway, from my own personal preference and having done conversions in the past that went through the roof in terms of cost and hassle, I'd prefer to just rebuild the standard lump these days....and then boost it with common off the shelf mods afterwards.

Cheers to all definately food for thought. Reckon when the time comes will look for a trusted supplier of a decent recon engine.