Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

Basic Suspension Questions

Right im getting fed up of seeing all these pics of C's looking nice and low, then getting back to mine and seeing 4x4 setup.

The thing is im a bit limited on my knowledge of what is available to sort this out. Lowering springs and shocks? or Coilovers? (whats dem den?)

Also my funds are a bit limited at the mo so what are my options?

I dont want to slam it as I like the ride to have some give and I dont want to be grounding out to often but she must go down. :)

theres loads of options,i was baffled myself at first!

take a look at the how low thread,it,l probably help!

first things first, wait until you have a bit more cash so you're not buying a budget kit which will, in the end, only dissapoint. I did that with my first corrado, buying a 'lowering kit' from euro car parts which was like replacing my suspension with jelly! a resonable budget would be around £350.

ok, quicky on to the differences! springs and dampers are what you have now, basically a seperate coiled spring and shock absorbers. you can buy either individually and mix/match brands to get the ride you like. best combination as recomended by forum memebers - koni dampers and H&R springs.

coilovers are a bit different, the spring and damper are one unit, and allow fine adjustment of ride height and damping to suit your tastes. They're generally more expensive, although some FK's can be had for around £350 and are reported to be quite good.

personally, given the budget I'd go for whichever FK coilovers it is that are £350ish, since you'll get the ride height just how you want it, and can adjust the damping to your hearts content!

Zippy I have run both FK Konigsport coilovers at various height settings and am now running Koni TA's with H&Rs.

I will say that the coilovers were very harsh and the FK's have a reputation for being soft as coilovers go!

Best bet is to see if you can drive/go for a ride in people's cars with the different set ups and go from there.

(Go for the TA & H&R you won't regret it)

ZippyVR6, I am also wanting to move on from the penny farthing / 4x4 look. 30mm will be the drop most likely (maybe push to 45mm) but not much lower as i have clumped my sump a couple of times at standard height already.

Like yandards says the Koni / H&R setup seems the most popular and has reported good results. IIRC stealth will fit and supply for about £450, i am considering installing myself once i get the goods, i just need to shell out and get my hands on a spring compressor.

Perhaps we can work on this together and keep each other in the know on prices and stuff, could have a chat on Sunday as well mate and see what the others are running.

Another vote for the Koni + H&R setup.

I felt the Konigsports rode brilliantly on a VR6, maybe the extra weight tempers any inherent harshness?

I thought the K+H&R combo was an unbeatable compromise until I met Mr H&R coilover. Totally impressed by them...they are way better than the K+H&R for ride quality...but you can soon see why when you look at the dampers. But at £800, you kind of expect good performance.

Ahh - Just when i think i am getting some i get confused again!

Koni+HR=Koni Shocks and H&R Springs.

FK konigsports= Koni Shocks and FK Springs.

H&R Coilover= H&R Shocks & Springs?

Sorry guys will get there soon :)

H&R coilovers use Bilstein dampers valved to H&R specifications to match the spring rates they chose for each individual car. H&R are one of the largest spring manufacturers in the world so they buy in their dampers.