Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Painting Calipers....

I painted mine using silver smoothite. They look ok but are hard to keep clean. I'd recommend doing them either black or that dark gold (talked about earlier)

My calipers are currently black, but the paint's blistered/cracked in a few places and looks a bit tatty - I guess if you're going for the stock look (I guess these are the original calipers after 86k miles !!! ) then go black 8) :D

Rams:

That would be excellent mate!!! - Its the chrome / silver style badges am after!

My calipers are now silver and I have now installed the new pagid fast road pads all round so should make a nice difference to the braking power... also cleaned me engine bay and did all the plastic, etc - looks mint :p :D

If you fancy making them stand out a bit, could try and find some caliper decals.

Not actually seen any for VW's but there must be someone some where that will do them. As you can get them for hodas, subarus, audis etc. VR6 or Corrado logo might look cool.

yeah, that would look sweet, a nice small sticky badge to put on your calipers.mmmm, I will do some investigating.

sure you could get a pattern cut from vinyl as long as you had it in digital format.. not sure if any old vinyl will hold up to the heat though

hi

found out that the vinyl they use is the same stuff for exterior signs on and on car body work. so guessing it must be some sort of thicker vinyl than what is used on window stickers, will handle the heat better.

I was thinking maybe a twist on the audi rings but four vw badges fading in from light to dark or inversed so the last one is white. (post something up tomorrow)

I have no problem designing stuff for people . (being graphic designer) so open for ideas.

Going back to the calipers thing.. I wouldn't exactly say red is tacky.

You wouldn't be saying that if you had just bought the Brembo kit for the Ibiza Cupra's which are painted red, eh? :)

found out that the vinyl they use is the same stuff for exterior signs on and on car body work. so guessing it must be some sort of thicker vinyl than what is used on window stickers, will handle the heat better.

With "enthusiastic" use brake calipers can get hot enough to blister high temp paint so a bit of vinyl, however thick, won't stand a chance :!: :D :shock:

i hear that! i have two-tone calipers.. half red half blistered off :lol:

just repeating what i read on an american website for pontiac decals. they make these things but like you say with the heat how good and long they last is another question.

A great way to dress up the front brake calipers of your Pontiac Grand Prix. These decals are made from the same materials used for lettering ambulances, trucks, outdoor signs, etc. Brushed chrome appearance. Recommended for installation over calipers that have been painted with a gloss paint. Heat from the calipers has no adverse affect on the metallic decal.

pic below

Here is that take on the Audi rings I just knocked up.. not trying to pinch your idea Dubboy, but just trying it out!

cool

possibly over lapped

last item i read about them said they were metallic.mmmm

metallic sticker would take the heat better than vinyl, but where we get them done don't know, looks like back to square one.

Overlapped..

Actually looks quite good.. initially I wasn't too sure but I think you sold me on that :)