Sign in to follow this  
ZippyVR6

30 quid sub boxes in halfords!

G60dave????? How the heck? what size fuse? 40amp?

It depends on the amp youre running.

If you look at the specs, it should tell you the amp fuse you need. I usually put between 60-80 amp fuses in. That's enough to cover multiple amps, but will blow if something nasty happens in the engine bay.

I've actually got a 60amp breaker in mine, it's dead easy to disconnect and saves money on fuses! :wink:

G60dave????? How the heck? what size fuse? 40amp?

You'll need the same size or bigger fuse thats in your amp or amps, close to the battery, it is really essential too, if the wire shorts out in the boot it will melt and your carpet too, and could indeed cause a fire!

g60dave, Ouch! Did you see that TV program where they stuck various objects in the boot of a hatch, ranging from toolboxes to shopping, and then they simulated a head on?

Holy feck, the toolbox smashed through the back seat like tissue paper (as you say!) and sprayed the dummies with lump hammers and spanners, ouch! Your coffin sub would defo hurt if that caved your seat in! You were quite lucky!

Yeah you're right with porting, I just didn't have the space in my C to chuck a huge amp in to feed a relatively inefficient 10" sub (sealed) at high wattages in the 30hz zone..... Audioscape and I designed the corrado moulded sub boxes and we spent ages getting the port right on mine, and I'm pleased with the overall sound for such a modest system.

Yeah, bloody lucky, but i did have to have 26 stitches in my head! And to rub insult to injury, only one of the subs survived and my amp rack was found up a tree!!!

Yeh saw Blue joes audioscape box at Northampton. he'd spun the sub around but the box looked ace. are there any of those still kicking around? still not sure about giving up all my bootspace.

Ok im mid install at the mo. Quick question, What is this blue wire?

In the passenger footwell inside the kick pannel? it has been clipped at some point. im wondering what it does and if it needs to be re-soldered?

Does it look like it's heading under the door sill toward the back of the car? If it is then it's more than likely an old alarm wire for the boot light switch.

It would be from an aftermarket boot switch for an alarm. It is joined to the door pin earth, which means it could only be that. Some people don't bother using the switch in the actually boot latch and just put a crappy trigger one in. Remove it and tidy up and insulate the brown and white wire, otherwise it will ground and your interior light will randomly come on. :)

Hope that helps

Jay

Nice one Jay. that may explain why it is routed a different way to the other wires.

A monday evening job methinks.

I shouldn't laugh but the way you said that is amusing :lol:

No worries, i laugh about it- I ended up getting a corrado out of it! 8)

Allthough i still haven't quite had the courage to put that many subs in the back of it! :lol:

I just got myself a sub box from halfords today.

I was halfway through building a fibreglass one and went to buy some more resin and carpet, and i spotted they had 10" sub box's going for £14.99!!

Couldn't resist it, and it sounds really good. first time i've ever bought a sub box. Mind you, i now have no bootspace, and i'm gonna have to put in a false floor so it doesn't wobble around the spare wheel.

sounds good tho, if anyone else is tempted.

Jonny