Sign in to follow this  
kenc

which engine model

Hello people, I have a 94 l reg raddo 2.0 16v.Being new to the vw scene I often hear people mention digifant/k jet I understand this is the type of injection system your car is fitted with and i often hear of various engine coding for certain bottom ends and inlet manifolds.

What Im asking is can anyone tell me what injection type my car has aswell as which engine model I have. Or will this info be in the owners handbook?

Also can people suggest of various engine modifications I can do for a bit more poke,or do you recommend a vr swap, my current engine has covered 142,000 full history/service 12 of the 14 stamps being vw. The engine seems healthy and quite snappy but i would like a bit of extra poke.

any advice welcome.THANKS :D

2.0 16v has KE-Jetronic :) Engine type/code is the 9A.

Mods.. well i'm not soo sure but I believe there are a few 2.0 16v owners around here who've managed to liberate a good few horses using different cams, etc.. hopefully one of them will drop by and share!

Hya, not too up on the 2.0 16v engine but think as was mentioned, cams,head,inlet/exhaust manifold as well as exhaust and filter would be best. You might see me around, Im in Sittingbourne!

Cheers 4 the advice people, Am I right in saying that my 94 2.0 16v has 136 bhp or so ? :oops:

You certainly are :)

Though my totally standard 1994 2.0 16v put out 144BHP with a bodge-it exhaust system and a replacement panel filter! :)

The 9A engines injection/ECU system can also be chipped which will liberate a few ponies for you... 8)

A mate of mine is stripping his 205 gti, and he has a set of nearly new twin 45 webber's I am tempted to invest in these but am unsure which other mods will go well with these, as with the price of running the car on these but they do sound great. Or am i best sticking to injection,cams,head work,inlet manifold/ 4 branch and a chip.?

With all these mods tho I doubt il even be close to vr power.So would it not be best to convert to a vr.

I mean at as quess the engine mods will cost me in the region of maybe 2k-2.5k any one know how much it costs roughly 4 a vr 2.8/2.9 conversion :D

so who actually has the most powerful valver then?

ianb off clubgti forums had 202bhp & 160lb ft from 9A block, TSR Pack A head, schrick cams and TSR manifold + a few bits n bobs.

saysomestuff, 'kinell, that's a good set of figures for a N/A lump... 8)

K-Jetronic was only fitted to the 1.8 16V flavour of the Corrado (KR engine), but it found its way into all sorts of other cars, from the MKI Golf GTI through some of the Audis and even the Porsche 924! A modified version (K-E Jetronic) is found on the later 16V Corrados, but this works in a slightly different way and I've no experience with them so can't really comment on them...

K-Jetronic is a purely mechanical fuel injection system despite the "tronic" part of the name suggesting electronic bits... It is also known as a CIS system (Constant Injection System) as ALL of the injectors are always spraying fuel onto the back of the valves even if they're shut.

The metering head (the heart of the system) contains a large movable flap which all of the air going into the engine is fed through. The air lifts the flap inside a cone shaped area which opens a valve inside the metering head allowing fuel through to the injectors. The higher the flap is lifted inside the cone, the more fuel gets to the injectors and thus into the engine. The shape of the cone is critical to the application of the injection system... a 16V metering head's cone is completely different in shape to that of an 8V engines as the fuelling profile needs to be different for each design of engine... There were several additions to the basic system to allow for cold starting - a 5th electrically opened injector, a throttle bypass valve to allow a "choke" setting/higher tickover when cold, and a warm up fuel pressure regulator to allow the fuelling to be adjusted according to temperature.

It's as basic as injection systems get, but is still pretty good and generally more reliable and more efficient than a carburettor setup, normally giving similar (if not better) power/MPG figures than a carburettor setup can... 8)

Ke-motronic as fitted to the 9A 2.016v is basically K-jetronic with knock sensors to retard the timing at the onset of pinking and closed loop lambda control which electronicaly adjusts the fuel mixture based on the lambda sensors readings. To acheive this the ECU is programmed to control both fueling and ignition, this is how it is possible to re-map a 9A to increase power, but not a KR which has purely mechanical fuelling.

Ke-motronic was developed due to tighter exhaust emmision requirements, and the 9A has a catalytic converter to further clean up the exhaust.

damn, knew I missed out a major plus point for K-Jet... :oops:

Anything else I missed Kev? 8)

Ah, is that all they did Phil? I never knew that it was basically that simple a change... 8)

Ah, is that all they did Phil? I never knew that it was basically that simple a change...

In simple terms I think that covers it. Cannot think of anything else.

I've always like K-Jet, since my Mk1 GTi. Out of all the cars I've owned it had the smoothest most progressive and jerk free throttle repsonse, which was particularly nice in traffic jams.

yup, I have a certain soft spot for K-Jet too... I like mechanical things, they have a certain elegance to their solutions that electronic sensors just don't quite have...

Anything else I missed Kev? 8)

Not really mate, there were 3 (IIRC) flavours of K Jet:-

K jet original....First appeared in 1976 on Audi 80 1.6 GTE. VW then pinched it for the MK1 GTI after unsuccessful trials with carbs. It K Jet in it's simplest form, ever!

K Jet was twiddled a bit as the MK1 and MK2 1800 GTIs appeared to add a couple of extra fuelling bits n bobs.

The KA Jetronic appeared in the Golf 16V, which was basically what you ran through earlier.....overrun shutoff, ISV, full and part throttle enrichment, twin pumps (lift and main), cold start, constantly variable CIS base pressure(WUR) etc etc....

KE - Jetronic, or motronic is what went onto the 2.0 16V and also (not a lot of people know this) some Euro spec MK2 1800 16Vs.

What is meant by kr cams and inlet also whats a 50mm inlet, are any of these appropiate mods for my 94 2.016v ? if not what are :D