Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

Failed MOT, some help please guys!

i have not been on here in ages, in middle of moving house and have no internet!!!!!

Anyway, car went for MOT today and failed on:

Offside break light not working: easy fix? should just be blub i hope!

Both wiper blades need replacing: anyone have a model number from halfords?i dont want to go down the LOPO road at this point.

Both of these i can do myself but the following two i will need to have done by a garage.

Excessive play in near side front hub assembly: Didnt think it was bad at all myself but what can ya do! quoted at £80-£90

Near side and off side front Break pipes Corroded: knew this would need doing. Quoted at £70-£80

Now comes the really annoying part................... when the test was finished and I had paid up I come back to my car and the Bonnet is not shut correctly, so I pull on the release and its just floppy, I cant get into the bonnet now! Told them about it and they say its nothing to do with them, so I point out they hade to open it for the MOT, its one of the first things you do! So they say they cant help it if it breaks when testing the car, I can see their point of view but I would have been nice to have been told about it rather than find it for myself!

I know this thread has gone on a bit but any help would be great guys,

Do the quoted prices sound about right?

Cheers!

Any reasonable garage should sort out the bonnet release for you if it broke while they had it. The prices quoted sound about right but if they won't do the bonnet release for free then take it somewhere else to have the work done.

No need for Lupo wipers, I got some bosch wipers from halfords that work perfectly well, they were about £18 for the pair and had size 19/19S on the box (one spoiler one standard). Brake light is most likely a blown bulb.

If they were sneaky about the bonnet release, I wouldnt go there again.

Just as I will not buy anything Goodridge, Vauxhall or Seiko again, to name but three.

The customer should be king. Most money we work hard for, dont give it to those that do not merit it.

Thanks guys, i have just sorted the bulb and the wipers.

Bulb was easy as anything! and cost next to nothing!

Wipers were a little harder to no big task, got some of halfords own about £13, came with spoiler but had to take this off to fit the things, does it really make that much difference? i can already see the difference anyway.

as for the garage i am unsure what to do, think i will give them a ring tomorrow and say about if they dont sort the bonnet then i will have someone else do the work needed, but i want my free re-test, so could they just be b**tards and make stuff up to pee me off?

Try and stay polite when talking to the garage and if they refuse to fix the bonnet it might be worth casually mentioning that Trading Standards might be interested in their behaviour. Most reputable businesses will suddenly do a lot more for you when threatened with being reported.

As for spoiler wipers the ones I bought were as a set, but for some reason best known to Bosch only one has a spoiler on it, tbh though there's not really much difference between them. The spoiler only comes in handy if your wipers start lifting off the screen at high speeds (the ones on my old Toledo might as well of not been there above 70mph for all the use they were, but a set of spoiler wipers sorted that out).

steve_16v said

but for some reason best known to Bosch only one has a spoiler on it,

Yes. My Corrado came with a set with one spoiler. Probably normal for some reason?? Anyone know?

It did say on the box that the spoiler should only be used on the drivers side, there has to be a good reason for it!

On the other problems i am having, i am taking my car to Premier Power in Northampton, at least they know what they are doing, they have done some really nice Corrados in the past and their standard of work is spot on!

One more thing is, when you have an mot and it fails, you have 7 days for a free retest, is there a milage limit? the guy said dont worry, but i can see them turning around and being Bas*ards!

You best check on the FREE retest issue, as most garages only give you a free retest if the work is carried out by them, they are not obliged to do the retest for nothing.

I'd say the prices aren't too far off (by garage standards) assuming the play in the hub assembly is due to a failed wheel bearing. If the play is a result of a worn track-rod end or a ball joint I would expect it to be a little less.

You best check on the FREE retest issue, as most garages only give you a free retest if the work is carried out by them, they are not obliged to do the retest for nothing.

im pretty sure thats not true

Its normally a free retest if it doesnt leave the site or repaired by the garage.

You can buy Bosch wipers in single packets,just get two with the spoiler !

I just put some meguirs detailer on the windscreen even the old wipers remove the water regardless without streaks etc :-)

Lupos on Order :-D

new mot rules mean there is only free retest if you leave the car there if it leaves the garage thats it you have to pay for a whole test.

new mot rules mean there is only free retest if you leave the car there if it leaves the garage thats it you have to pay for a whole test.

thats a bit stupid,there a garage near me that only does mots and thats it,and what if you dont trust the garage to carry out the work?

yup that swhat happened to me this week needed a coilover refurbed as it was seeping a bit but they wouldnt do it obviously so i have to drive a mile take coiover off have it refurbed take it back and my mot has cost NINETY QUID!!!

Yes. My Corrado came with a set with one spoiler. Probably normal for some reason?? Anyone know?
Spoiler wipers are more expensive than the normal ones. To keep the price of the kits down, it's deemed that only the drivers side of the car needs a spoiler.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Took my car to Premier this morning (had a good chat about why the storm commands more money than a "standard" VR6, no lets not start that one!)

Anyway Bill the owner said he would have a look at what needs doing and call me with a price, dropped it off at 10 this morning so i called them at 2 o clock. Was told that the car was being re-mot'd, they could not find any of the problems that Tyres northampton could find!

Premier have worked on many corrados as i am sure you all know and i trust them, so its either good news or the way my luck is running it will end up costing more!!! just a shame i didnt know they did MOT's to start with!

Does anyone know if i can claim back the money i paid for the first MOT??? How would i word it to them? cheers people!

good stuff!

Does anyone know if i can claim back the money i paid for the first MOT???

Possibly, but you would have to speak to the manager and prove that the problems don't exist. Speak to Premier first and make sure there's definately nothing wrong, some testers are just more stringent than others and it's possible the one at Premier might not have though the problems were a failure.

godskitchen, Each MOT tester is "licenced" to carry out MOT tests, as he/she interprets the guidelines. Contrary to popular opinion, an MOT certificate is NOT a guarantee of a car's roadworthiness. If there is any doubt as to the condition of components such as brakepipes, I would have them changed without question.

As the condition of a car is a matter of each tester's opinion - you will not be able to claim your test fee back.

Baz2004, Corroded brakepipes are a very common MOT failure on older cars. In an extreme case, the pipe/pipes could fail & cause the car to loose braking alltogether (with obvious consequences).

the way i look at it, Premer could have just said to me tat the work needed doing and got more money out of me, he said there was "nothing wrong" with the break pipes so i am happy with that and trust his judgement, he has worked on many corrados and didnt call it a Golf!!!!!!