Sign in to follow this  
conleycrew3

Rims Rims Rims?

i would like some nice rims for my valver but i remember putting 17's on my mk2 golf gti and it felt like i was driving a bus, my turning circle went to cack and occasionaly would rub if i went too fast over a bump.

my corrado is a late 95 n reg 2.0 16v, anyone know if the same bus feeling comes with bigger wheels, and whats the biggest i can get on her with as little mods as possible?

cheers

ben

down here in plymouth there is a place that deals in wheels and tyres only, i can get a second hand set of 17's with tyres for £300, bargain if you ask me?

only thing is should a second hand pair of alloys be trusted?

they do come with a warranty though, but will that be worth anything do you think?

they also sell 18's for £350 with tyres

Damn thats cheap.(Whats that place lol)

Only thing I would really worry about with 2nd wheels is the quality of them.

Im trying to find a pic of a corrado with them fox wheels ATM.

What's the name of the place? Wheels on a second had car are second hand and you trust them!

very good point i never thought of that!! ( bit thick maybe?)

im not sure what its called but i will find out tomorrow for you.

if you know plymouth its on the A38 in the city, come from exeter end into the city towards mutly and there is a church in the middle of a roundabout, before you reach this on your left is a tiny church with a garage with "lowest price in town for wheels and tyres" sign

ask for Bob, good guy, do anything to help

Cool, thanks.

Also I think you will find for handling purposes that 15" rims are pretty much the best.

that so? iv not really thrashed my corrado but i havnt come across a corner that it hasnt taken with ease yet.

in the wet its a different story, it likes to go straight on at roundabouts and corners!!

this normal for rad's?

i find that if you back off the steering a little it comes back to me straight away, little heart stopping at times, especially if im going fairly slow and dont expect it

cant remember off the top of my head but they wernt cheap crap i no that much, think they are the 195/95/15's? (basicly the largest numered but smallest profiled 15's that came as standard)

that right?

i have recently swapped my rear's for the fronts, all rotations are correct etc, this helped imensly but still goes straight on occasionaly, only in the wet mind.

not had the tyres squeeking round corners in the dry either, does this mean im not pushing hard enough or is the corrado just good at its job?

Check your tyre wear, your tracking may be out, also get them professionaly realigned. I had a bit of a dodgy ride, thought my suspension was knackered but realignmend sorted it out!

cool, ill give that a whirl.

all tyres are in perfect condition, no uneven wear or weirdness at all. the front ones are basically new, still see the red paint in between the tred.

the ride is fine also, no vagueness that iv been hearing about. i check the pressures at least once a week too.

195/95/15 - should hope not, as that gives a 185mm tyre wall. Hope it to be more like 50 or 55 profile.

From my experience there are many factors in handling. But what is your main reason for choosing alloys?

- Handling, LOOKS, lack of maintenance, Comfort ?

For all of those above, I'd go for 16". Why?...

........................................................................................................

Im now on a completely standard set up, 15", with my '94 2.0 rado and I wouldn't choose this setup again.

Okay, the handling is good for a 10yr car, but has lost its go-kart feel compared to when it was on a very different setup. It was on 40mm lower spings with 205/40/17 Toyo Proxes, obviously on 17" alloys.

As much as these Dunlops are no good (195/50/15) on these 15-BBS rims, and are the cause of sliding & understeer (on private roads of course) etc; there are additional factors:

1. Massive body roll due to softer standard springs. This means the car takes time to settle, other wise you're turning and the momentum is going straight on. (lower springs, meaning lower centre of gravity helps too)

2. Profile of tyre:- Going to a larger wheel, eg 17", means you're going to run a smaller profile tyre. The tyre wall will be stiffer, thus you will feel the bumps more. One advantage is that it will be more rigid and give a firmer ride and hopefully better handling, however, you might find the car skips over bumps like a stone over water. Hence I'd go for 16" = compromise

3. A bigger wheel often (not always) means a wider wheel and thus allows a wider tyre. Yes you're going to get better grip, but its also going to become "like a bus" on slow speed manouvers in the carpark (but who cares).

3. You mentioned rubbing. Get the right setup and it shouldn't happen; upto a 17" wheel, as far as i know. All depends on Offset & if you intend to 'Lower'* it too??????

*. Lower & harder springs help obviously, so contemplate that. But realise you're going to get a stiffer ride, with much less comfort; so this xams Santa might be buying you a backbrace for those drain grids; and you'll also avoid Speed-hump roads too.

Note: if you choose larger wheels; try running a lower tyre pressure than that stated in the book; say 33psi

**Ask kevHaywire what he's running on

*** Looks - have a look on the forum and you'll see lots of people asking for oppinions on looks, giving photo examples; its a real eye-opener !!