Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Head lights keep switching off

I thought 4 weeks of reliable fun had to end, and they did tonight on the way home from work!

Driving along main beam on and when i flicked them back to dipped everything went out! Scared the sheeehat out of me and the bloke comign towards me no doubt.

I fiddled with the switch in the dash as i know these can play up but no joy, then they just came back on again when i flicked from main beam and back again. Happended about 4-5 times but now they wont come back on dipped at all. No fuses blown so where the feck do i start!!

Why am i allways left in the dark :roll:

could be the switch itself...............tho the 2 ive replaced have always had the same symptom of the lights suddenly being on without the switch being on

Cheers storm. I have just noticed that the switch is actually cracked to the left of the circular button, still not convinced its the switch.

Ill get one anyway, assuming they are reasonably priced at the stealers?

Or are we talking special corrado tax as usual??

I would suspect the dip/beam switch in the steering column stork. The headight switch doesn't change when the beam or dip is selected.

The other is if a headlight loom is fitted........ relays / loom wiring.

It has an uprated loom but its been fitted badly and really doesnt look right apparantly. Im so rubbish with eletrics though!

A somewhat shocking £54.64 to you sir inc VAT.

The earlier switch is only £23! the price you pay for curves eh?

Part number is 535 941 531F.

I'd go with switch and not loom as the loom is unlikely to knock all of your lights out at once - sides, main, beam is a lot to lose in a one-er.

Yup, just checked mate on my er, software for such things..

Recent price update too so its going to be close. Look like you will be using that Saturday job perks sooner rather than later :wink:

..and yes I am envious

£54.64.......................WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious!?

pffffff............you should have seen what i had to pay in my 2nd week of C ownership for my headlight switch...£80!!!!!

Well i reckon im on about 4.5k in 8 months! More than half is stuff ive wanted though, its just things like this that really get me out of principle!

The two fuel pipes are still the biggest ripper i've found to date though!

i had a similar problem, started out with my side lights doing what they pleased, then the inidactors did what they wanted when they wanted, then my head lights followed suit!

turned out to be a few wires wrapped up in that black plastic sheathing under the air box.

these has rubbed through and frayed together over the years causing all sorts of headaches for me.

av a look anyway, wont do any harm to check?

GUYS! Whoah there! :roll:

Read Nicks earlier post before telling him to spend lots of money!

It has an uprated loom but its been fitted badly and really doesnt look right apparantly.

Houston? We have a culprit... ;)

mmmmm, tekara, any chance of swoping switches for a 30 min test?

I could do without buying that switch at the mo tbh.

Cheers for all the info, turns out someone has rapped every wire under my bonnet in black tape about an inch thick. If i have to get to anything under it to find a problem i'll make one if there wasnt already.

I HATE ELETRICS!

Luckily im fitting a flowed TB at the mo, which is obviously far far more important!

Luckily im fitting a flowed TB at the mo, which is obviously far far more important!

ha ha! id check under the battery for chafed wires, though if the looms works at all and is conected properly it might not be that but the headlightswitch does sound more likely.

I've got a similar problem. I have high beams (so the colum stalk switch is OK) and I have sidelights. Just no dipped beam. I've swapped the two relays round and it's not that so I got a second hand dash switch on ebay at the weekend. It should arrive soon. If you got he loom off Gavin (H100VW) he should be able to offer you some advice.

Cheers guys, and it would be nice to know if your switch cures it neil if you could let me know. Im scared to take my battery out becuase of this ecu reset proceedure shinanigans!