Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Couple of probs (ISV, ECU Reset & Aux fuel pump)

Hello,

Had some trouble with the idle this morning- It was a very damp and heavy morning and the car idle kept jumping between 1000 & 1500 revs. Used the car again an hour later- the engine went straight to its correct idle & no more probs.I was going to clean the ISV on Sat (although I think it might also be coil pack related?). Can anyone tell me how to do it & what to use. I also want to reset the ECU- again any advice? Finally there is a high pitch whining noise in the car that i think is coming from the fuel tank. Does this mean somethings on its way out :( :( . Would appreciate any help. The car is a VR if that helps.

Cheers

Hmmm whine in the back, oh dear... Fuel pump..? :(

As for ECU dont think its possible to reset it unless you have diagnostics,cant see that sorting things anyway. :?

Clean out idle valve ,it always helps. :wink:

Cheers James

James,

I am sure I read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery for a couple of hours then you need to go through an ECU reset procedure. I think this information is in the bentley manual and is only applicable to VR6. I think there are a couple of posts about it. I'll do a search :? :?

Cheers

Mike

Yeah noise from the tank is the pump, I'll bet it's quieter when the tank is full?

You need to pressure check it on a rolling road to be sure, it should deliver 4 bar from idle to max revs.

To reset the ECU, just disconnect the battery. It'll relearn as you drive and store the parameters. You need to take it to a quiet road and do a mixture of hard and moderate acceleration. It's generally up to speed with what's going on after the 3rd restart/drive.

The coilpack only cause problems when you accelerate and especially in the wet. The diagnostic check is to simply spray it with water at night and look for sparks.

The idle problem is probably the idle valve. Try cleaning it with carb cleaner and make sure you clean the rotating vane with cotton buds.

Kev

Kev,

I have seen your previous posts on Fuel pumps. Am I right in thinking that there are two pumps on the VR6- A lift pump in the tank and a main pump under the car? The noise is definitely coming from inside the tank because I can feel the vibration when I hold the bottom of the tank so I was guessing lift pump :? What do you think?

Cheers

Kev,

Have done some more searching and answered my own question :oops: the VR6 has a kind of two stage pump in a single unit. Though I noticed you had previously solved a noisy fuel pump just by changin the filter so I will give that a try first.

Cheers