Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

Now The F***ing Thing Wont Start

Was fine on saturday when i drove it, left it there and attempted to drive it yesterday. Wouldnt start so i thought flat battery, got my dads car out and attepmted to charge it, it did start but it was rough as hell is all i can say, and was rough for ages then i let it idle and it cocked like mad and stopped. tried to start it again but it wouldnt have it it was darrk so i gave up.

went to charge it up today and it doesnt even start now, noticed the clock was waaaay off aswell, wtf i dont get this car, was running beautifully for over 400miles on sayurday. i cleaned out the distributor cap cos there was some oil in it. could be the fuel filter i suppose but there is almost half a tank in there. no idea what it is this time.

Oil in the cap may have contaminated the hall sender...

Start with the basics first tho, try a known good battery or try to jump it...

when you say it wont start...what does it feel/sound like it's lacking?...does it feel as if it's running out of fuel?

coupled with your problem of it running like sh1te, it might be worth spending a few quid on dissy cap and rotor arm (( its a valver ..its got one :D )) fuel filter etc

Well you know when you start a car up normally it makes that electronical sort of sound , like a mouse squealing right, it just does that for aaaages but gets nowhere, theres no sort of jump to it.

Try bump starting the car NOT jump starting. If it bumps then it could be that the switch isn't allowing power to the vital services during cranking.

Gavin

hello veedub, this problem just happend to my VR6, like you i thought it was the battery so i bought i new one, but that made no difference, after a while of looking under the bonnet checking all the usual parts but to no avail, i looked in the fuse box and one of the big black fuses no. 21 i think had managed to pull itself out.(don't know how?) I pushed it back in then it started first time. At first it was a bit ropey but the next day it was running perfect. hope this helps.

Ian.

hello veedub, this problem just happend to my VR6, like you i thought it was the battery so i bought i new one, but that made no difference, after a while of looking under the bonnet checking all the usual parts but to no avail, i looked in the fuse box and one of the big black fuses no. 21 i think had managed to pull itself out.(don't know how?) I pushed it back in then it started first time. At first it was a bit ropey but the next day it was running perfect. hope this helps.

Ian.

Ahh,I just had the previous owner around and he changed a fuse around and the car sounded like it wanted to start, but it was missing something. Until he changed one of the leads (the middle one) that goes into the distributor the other way around and the bloody thing statrted and it was shabby as hell thoguh. went and took it for a spin but it was missing badly, went to about 4.5k revs and it would die completely. lose all its power. now this is what happneded before but my dad cleaned out the distributore head, and it worked fine and dandy! but tried this now and it hasnt worked atall. havnt got a pipe long enough yet to get out the spark plugs. on saturday i topped up the oil quite a bit too much so i think maybe it has clogged somewhere?

Thanks for the advice Ian too, much appreciated

Get some new plugs, leads, rotor arm and cap for starters...

Yup, thats what I'm heading for mate.

Funny thing is, I just drove it now, and it's bloody fine!

Damn car is wierd...