Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

quick one - will a v5 engine fit strait into a corrado?

Well it won't be a staight swap, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd imagine if Jay and Phat can get a 24v VR in there, then you can get a V5 in.

I'm guessing you are talking about the 5v per cylinder engine in the older TT's. The newer Audi's use a V6. The 20v engine will drop straight into a Corrado on the original mounts easy enough. You then have the wiring, intercooler and other things to sort out.

I'd give Stealth a call and see what they'd charge...

My guess (with no experience at all here, so it is just a guess) is around £3k to fit it?

That is the 1.8T 20v engine so my previous comments apply. The new TT has a 3.2l V6. Confusingly Audi put an engine cover on saying "5V" and VW also used to make a "V5" engine with 5 cylinders. Both completely different engines.

The Audi 5V per cylinder (20V) engine will mount onto the Corrado mounts, the VW V5 (actual 5 cylinder engine) that was used in Mk4 Golfs and Boras won't.

But both will need extensive loom/ECU/gauges work to run...

In theory both will but the one you are thinking about will go in easier. How much you looking at for the engine?, does it come complete with wiring harness ecu etc?

yes comes with the wiring loom and ecu - not shure on price hopefully under a grand - is that good? - comes with gearbox .. manifold .. turbo etc - what do you recon it would coast to fit this one if it drops straight in? - can i run it on fwd?

Under 1k is good for a 20v engine now, they tend to go for lots now that the breakers know that they are in demand. Flog the gearbox as it wont be much use if you want to run FWD only. You can use your existing 16v box with an up-rated clutch. Costs depends on how much you want to do yourself. Plenty of companies charging 4k+ for a drive in-drive out conversion. Budget on 2k on top of the engine costs for parts if you want to do the labour yourself.

hi mistrall

given the option i would find a vr6 lump and get a turbo or a charger fitted i think that would be far better i hear you can get 400+ horses on a turboed vr6 that would give a new definition to torque steer in a c !!!

not sure how hard that may hit your budget though....

just a thought :D

kel

biggerbigben has the 20vt engine in his corrado. It can be done but to be honest i would stick with a 6pot engine

So do I!. Surely the 20VT provides much more BHP per ££?. A TT engine will re-map straight up to 280 BHP.

No doubt true, but how much custom engineering is required to fit a 20vt where it don't belong (you're diggin' it round when it ought ta be square)?

It'd be much cheaper to source a recon VR6 and have that swapped in.

Stealth will recon your OWN VR6 for just under £3k, iirc.

One of the lads at stealth runs a 1.8t 20v (5v per cylinder) engine in his so i guess they would be a great shout for advice.

If you put a V5 engine in, ie 5 cylinder fitted to the bora and golf mk4s (150bhp or 170bhp depedning on age/model) it would be unique and sound a bit like an old rally quattro. But tuning wise you'd get silly power out a 1.8t much more cheaply and easily.

Big money either way. would be nice to see someone do a 5 cylinder though!

Perf wise it wouldnt be worth the wallet bashing or heart ache though.

Do a vr or 1.8t, or buy a vr and pump some air into it with a t or an sc!

ha, beat me too it BC. There not that cheap ill have you know lol

Getting cheaper to buy but aint getting any cheaper to run :evil:

Surely the 20VT provides much more BHP per ££?. A TT engine will re-map straight up to 280 BHP

yes i know. i have one remember... but it has absolutely ZERO character. i miss my VR6

Second that Jedi, I had an S14 200sx. 280bhp and 1240kg it ate my VR for breakfast, but it was soleless, never really won my heart. Gotta be 5 cylinders plus for that warm tingly grin factor and true caracter.

Wouldnt say no to your S3 having said that though, if i had the money

22!!!!!!!! how the magic mushrooms do you insure that muhoother!

On a related note, during one of my many daydreams at work I was wondering if it would be possible to put either the 2.7 V6 from the RS4 (380bhp) or the 4.2 V8 from the RS6 (480bhp) in a Corrado?

Not that I have the money to contemplate such a beast, just curious because AMG managed to shoe-horn a 6.0 V8 into a 190e!

well in theory... you can fit the rs4 2.7 bi-turbo v6 into an s3... and you can fit an s3 engine into a corrado.... see my twisted logic?! not sure if it would actually work though.... and aparently the s3 they did it to handled like a barge once it was in!