Sign in to follow this  
Bees

1st Gear Selection - *Update*

Been having a bit of a problem sometimes selcting first gear - only seems to do it sometimes but getting a little worse.

If i try and put it in to 1st as normal it sometimes selects 3rd and I have to put it in 2nd then move it up to to select 1st.

Been looking through the old posts and found a couple of similar problmes - people said to lift off gear surround and look for clip to see if has broken - all looks good under there - another solution was that a nut or something needs tightening but not too sure where i would find this.

Could anyone who may have had similar problems let me know what they did...?

I had this problem which the guys at the main stealers sorted out for me for free :shock: yes free... Whilst fleecing for some other problem of course.

It turned out to be some sort of spacer that had come out of position at the gear linkage.

Easy if you know where to look I suppose.

(Was on my valver by the way)

You'll need to adjust the gear linkage on top of the gearbox and slap a nice big blob of grease on there too.

I've no idea how to actually do it, but if you have a search for 'gear AND linkage' or somesuch you should find what you need :)

Just been out in it now and it fine just to get 1st gear i have to push down and move towards revrese (reverse still fine if push down and all way to left as usual) and all other gears feel fine - only bit more funny getting it into second - like going from reverse to second - confusing :?

Looks all well greased and fine under gear shift - think might be a garage jobber to sort out :(

Didnt think main stealers and free would ever come up on the same line :lol:

I have just had a play with mine on my 1.8valver as it had the same problem.

it was worse than yours as the clip was missing and when I put a new one on I could'nt actually select first gear at all!

it was simple to fix as the shift mechanism which is on top of the box was really obvious. The are two cables running to it and one is fixed on a non adjustable arm (the lower of the two on mine)

the other higher one was fixed to the arm but the arm was slotted where the cable bolts to it. I marked the original position so I could always move it back if I made it worse (unlikely based on how bad it was) and then using trial and error released the nut slid the cable a couple of mm down the slot retightened and tried selecting 1st, took a couple of tries to get it right but is now sorted and took all of ten minutes.

I have just had a play with mine on my 1.8valver as it had the same problem.

it was worse than yours as the clip was missing and when I put a new one on I could'nt actually select first gear at all!

it was simple to fix as the shift mechanism which is on top of the box was really obvious. The are two cables running to it and one is fixed on a non adjustable arm (the lower of the two on mine)

the other higher one was fixed to the arm but the arm was slotted where the cable bolts to it. I marked the original position so I could always move it back if I made it worse (unlikely based on how bad it was) and then using trial and error released the nut slid the cable a couple of mm down the slot retightened and tried selecting 1st, took a couple of tries to get it right but is now sorted and took all of ten minutes.

This is exactly how I adjusted mine, the nut had come loose. Just follow the above instruction.

Great sounds exact the same as my problem - I will have a look at it and see if can adjust mine ok - thanks alot for the help - let you know how get on

Ended up taking car to my local garage to have look at it and they have just got back to me saying that they had to take the exhaust down to get to the cables and look at them - in their opinion there looks to be nothing physically wrong with the cables and looks fine so they not sure if it is the cables or not.

He said to me that it is either the gear cable, gear box or selecta unit that is at fault. Told me that i should replace the cable as it the cheaper option and quoted me £58 plus VAT for the part from main stealers.

I cant see it being the gear box myself but garage said could be a possibility.

Peed off a bit now as i am having to pay 80 pound labour to end up no better off than when i started.................... :(

Where would be the best place to get a cable from does anyone know (if it is the cable that needs replacing) ?????

Help much appreciated.....

Just got car back and garage assured me that there was no way of adjusting the cable. they removed the selecter box which they said 'looked ok' - where the cables meet on the gear box the cable on top has a nut on it - is this the nut to tighten the cable? if so why did they not do it??

daves16v, Yes i think i would be interested in your box and cables - would they fit a 93 VR6?

Not adjustable.... I would can them if they are your usual garage.

The linkages are adjustable. Basically I would follow the advice above as I don't think I could improve on it.

I am still not convinced that the lever isn't moving off the end of it's shaft when you go for first.

VW have special tool for setting up the cable change and it's linkages. It pins the lever in place while you mess with the gearbox end.

Gavin

EDIT give me a bell tomorrow morning or thursday and I'll try and fit you in for an adjustment!

Bees, I've not owned a VW before and had my c only three weeks.

all it took to fix mine was a circlip, a 13mm spanner for the bolt holding the cable on the gear selector on the gearbox, oh yeah..... and 10 minutes of my time.

It's gotta be worth ten minutes of your time to give it a try and possibly save yourself a bit of money into the bargain.

I know was going to just that i am so busy at the moment with work and more work that i thought if i was to take it to a garage to do the job for me then it would cost not alot and save my time too........how i was wrong - going to get it done then take the car back to the garage and see the gaffer (who is on holiday at the moment).

I will look at it next couple of days (prob thursday) and see what i can do - and may give you a ring Gavin if no luck - thanks alot!

Don't leave it too late cos I am away for 3 weeks from thursday. If you can make it up the airport it'll only be 10 minutes to do. I'll supply the spanner :wink:

That's bonkers, the linkage on top of the gearbox IS adjustable, I did it myself with the afore mentioned 13mm spanner.

managed to sort the problem out with Gavins help - turned out it was the nut that was loose and needed tightening - thanks alot for all of your useful comments really helped me out - feels little wiered not going from reverse to second now :)

I am going to have to have a word with the garage now!! wish me luck!.......... :wink: