Sign in to follow this  
Henny

G60 Engine question/ mystery hole

OK, so after doing the head swap on my G60 I found I had a water leak from the side of the block behind the cam belt about an inch underneath the belt tensioner...

It turns out that there's a hole in the side of the block just below the the head with an O ring and a plate over the top of it to seal it and I hadn't torqued up one of the bolts properly causing the leak... :oops: :roll:

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask this:

Does anyone know what this hole is for? As far as I can tell, it's only on the G60 block (it's not on either of my KR 1.8 16v engines, or my mate's PB 1.8 GTI)

It's just hit on my curiosity and I just wonder what it's for... 8)

On the pic below, the bits are in red...

Maybe supplementary water circulation pump (like the VRs have)???

That's one of the theorys I had about what it could be for... I'd guess that they'd run it off the cambelt seeing as how it is right next to it...

I'm also now wondering if it's because the G60 was originally designed for the Golf Rallye and they may have needed extra cooling in desert rallys and the like? :?:

I think that'd make sense wouldn't it? Anyone able to confirm/contradict this idea? 8)

rallyes used the 1h block henny... but i dont know why the hole is there either.. :lol: :lol:

rallyes used the 1h block henny... but i dont know why the hole is there either.. :lol: :lol:

:onfire: Bang goes that theory then... I thought that all G60 engines (at least when they came out of the factory!) were the same PG block unless it was the rare 16V version, the only differences being some of the ancilleries (I/C, charger outlet etc...) :?

Anyone else got any ideas?!? It's bugging me, I don't like not knowing why something's there and what it's for... :roll:

Where its situated and due to water coming out of it then it has to be there for some kind of external water pump... like mentioned....

nah mate the rallyes also have a smaller cc too only 1776..

:shock: Live and learn... I wouldn't have thought that the Rallye was smaller than the G60 'rado engine, if anything I'd have guessed the other way around if someone told me there was a diference... :lol:

Edit: Ooooh! :D

Henny

:: CF Enthusiast ::

YAY! :D :D :D

could it possible be where a core plug sits.....??????? im not sure on this jus an idea get the pros to check on it

get the pros to check on it

I have... None of them seem to know either! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Somebody mentioned to me in conversation that it may be for extra cooling around Cylinders 1.... take away the thickness of the block and you get more interior space for cooling... I don't buy that theory myself, as it's 4 that runs hottest on most VW engines... :?

1 has the water pump right next to it so I can't see why it should need extra cooling... :?:

Anymore ideas?!?

yeah i think it was originally designed for a flux capacitor :lol:

Ho-hum... :roll:

majik wrote:

yeah i think it was originally designed for a flux capacitor

Wrong!! Everybody knows that the flux capacitor goes in the middle of the back seats. :lol: Most likely to be where the time circuits are fitted :p

Sorry, couldn't resist 8)

No, the time-circuits go under the ashtray. I'm sure I found the part number on EKTA... :)

The hole in the engine is obviously for a Mr. Fusion installation.... :lol:

Now that you mention it... might do that as I'm sure I spotted a Delorean at my local scrappy with that very mod :p

I've said it once, so I'll say it again...

Ho-hum... :roll: :lol:

Well, seeing as how the engines crank shaft bolt sheared off last night on the way home, I may well be stripping the engine down to nothingness so I'll have a damn good look at this bit and see if I can work out what it's for while it's in 3,000,000,000,000 bits... :shock: :? :cry:

Hummm, a fusion powered G60.... Interesting... Wonder how much that install would cost! :lol:

No No No Its a mounting plate for an extra pully for the flying conversion, to power the hydrolics.

I think that joke is over already :shock:

On a MK1 Golf/Jetta/Scirroco etc Thats where the side engine mount bolts on. I would think it has something to do with access during manufacture. Maybe for cleaning out the block.

i was told it had something to do with when the PG block was used in a carburated setup... but i don't know how or why or if there is any truth it that or if the PG block was even ever used in a carburated car.....but thats what i heard. had me stumped too when i pulled the charger bracket off...