Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

1.8 16v KR throttle body upgrade

Ok, so i know to get a few extra horsies you can port and flow the throttle body on a 1.8 16v, and if you're brave you can machine down the butterfly spindles. But what i want to know is, is there a superior throttle body out there that will fit the KR? i.e an audi item? I know that you can fit a 5-cylinder audi throttle body to a mk1 8v, and apparently this is a good upgrade. is there anything similar to this that works on the KR?

Also, i may be stupid but from day 1 i've heard people say that the later facelift corrado's (i.e j-plate on) have different style headlights. I can see the bonnet is different, and the grille, obviously, and i'll take everyones word for it that the arches are slightly wider, but i just cannot for the life of me see any difference in the headlights! can someone please explain the difference

The foglights are different on later models They sit more flush to the bumper, whereas the early ones are more recessed into the bumper

As for the throttle body, my mate (Chris M on this forum) flows throttle bodies, so drop him an e-mail

Made car pull alot harder lowdown but it ran mega lean high up! Never got it set up properly.

As you might of read,the porsche tb i have now is the same as firebreather and il be fitting this very soon so will report back.

I did use the firebreather with a 50mm manifold and i think it was breathing to well so guna try the porsche one on the 42mm manifold

good idea. i'm unsure of which manifold to go for. put a 50mm on my old 16v and i thought i gained power over the 42mm. people say you gain top-end but lose low down, but if anything i felt i gained low-down power. gonna try them both on the new one. well-up for trying this firebreather idea though, heard someone say you get alot better throttle response, and i've always felt the 16v has crap throttle response so got to give it a go.did you have the WUR mod done when the last firebreather was on? just wonderin if that might help the running lean top-end. so you picked this up from a 944 yeah? how are you planning to fit the thing? custom d.i.y adaptor plate?

1 other thing, can you give me some advice as far as flowing an inlet manifold goes

You could try a TB from a digifant golf.

If you look at the TB on your 16v you will see that it is a 2 piece affair, the later digifant golf ones are a single piece casting are have a better knife edge between the two butterfly spindles.

Not sure it would make a lot of difference and I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Ok, so i know to get a few extra horsies you can port and flow the throttle body on a 1.8 16v, and if you're brave you can machine down the butterfly spindles. But what i want to know is, is there a superior throttle body out there that will fit the KR? i.e an audi item? I know that you can fit a 5-cylinder audi throttle body to a mk1 8v, and apparently this is a good upgrade. is there anything similar to this that works on the KR?

Also, i may be stupid but from day 1 i've heard people say that the later facelift corrado's (i.e j-plate on) have different style headlights. I can see the bonnet is different, and the grille, obviously, and i'll take everyones word for it that the arches are slightly wider, but i just cannot for the life of me see any difference in the headlights! can someone please explain the difference

The trim and glass on the later style headlights sticks out about half a cm further than the early ones making the lense more flush with the wing and later style grille.

As for the throttle body, I seriously doubt whether this is restrictive on a standard 1.8 16v at all, if it works fine on a modified 2.0 block and with a flowed head then there can't be much wrong with it. I've seen many cars with 160-180bhp with no mods to a 1.8 throttle body at-all, mine included.

David.

yeah but to be honest i'm more after an improvement in throttle response, etc. i've always felt the valver is a little slow to pick up. apparently the firebreather helps this. not looking to get mega-horsepower from this, just an improvement in driveability would be nice.

It will make it very responsive but lean out higher up.Mine had already had the wur mod done and with the firebreather,it was pinking.

My mate is making me a whole top half of inlet manifold from alloy but with the correct flange for porsche tb

yeah i'm gonna try and get hold of one off a porsche and then i guess it's a custom-fit job. Maybe flusted, you could have the WUR mod re-set up in accordance to the firebreather. i think they normally reduce the pressure on the wur from 48 to 35 ? (is that right?) maybe if it was reduced even more this would solve the pinking with the firebreather.

how are the state of your injectors anyway?

BTW, tips on flowing an inlet?? i'm thinking wet & dry by hand, but how the hell am i supposed to get my shovel hands into those tiny ports? and how fine to go? 1200 grade?

Wur mod is dropped to 48.Got new injectors! To flow inlet,just match the joins of manifold to the gaskets with a dremmel or grinding bit in drill.

This is called match porting,theres also alot of metal that can be taken out around the throttle body entrance.

Theres a porsche throttlebody on ebay at the mo but unsure if its the right 1,as it looks different to mine

yeah i've picked up a couple of porsche inlets, one from a 924, which turned up today, but it looks as though it's a golf 8v throttle body. it's got the vag stamp but the butterflies are smaller. the other is on it's way, and is the single 944 one you were going on about, so once that arrives i'll be hasseling you for some advice! guessing it's gonna involve welding....

nice re-spray btw, suits the car better

oh also, i just bought my new 16v(smacked up the other one)and it has the exhaust cam mod. pulls well at 5k, but nothing, and i mean nothing, until then. it was aide(on here)'s car, but at the moment it's running a 50mm top half inlet and 42mm bottom half, so i was wondering if the lack of torque was down to this, as surely all the extra air from the 50mm is just bouncing off the inside of the 42mm bottom half and restricting airflow speed. what do you reckon? i've got the spare 50mm bottom half and 42mm top half so i'll get around to putting it right and see if it helps. if it doesn't i'm seriously gonna consider putting an original inlet cam back in

Inlet cam is either timed wrong or its the crappy 50mm manifold.

My car pulls clean from 2k up,very good throttle response,especially when you crack the second butterfly open.

Il be posting some pics of my porsche tb soon so keep ya eyes peeled