Sign in to follow this  
Greenbat

Can I make the ride softer?

Hello Guys,

my mk2 G60 has got fully adjustable FK Konigsport Coilovers (koni internals). The ride is way too hard. When I bought it I was given a control key for firming and softening the dampers. It is now on the softest setting but still the ride is still way too hard. Can I do anything else to soften the ride?

Cheers

Greenbat

yeah you need to find a happy medium when your driving fast you might not want so much cushion when yer pushing! sorry couldnt resist!

if the cars low then the ride will be hard... as other say try higher profile tyres or run slighty low tyre pressue lol

what size wheels and what profile tyres have you got?

any bushes beign swapped for poly-s?

top mounts not standard?

springs of higher poundage than they should be?

all of the above could be the culprit i guess....

i have set of konigsports with uprated top mounts and standard wheels,ride soffter and less crashy than standard suspension!

Make them higher?

Doesn't always work, I find my H&Rs actually improve the lower I go, but then I start clouting the chin spoiler on things.

There are different issues here that can combat your problem.

1. Firstly is the spring. As Sambo mentions, the spring may simply be too hard. i dont know what setup you have, but ideally you would simply back off the spring preload; or for many of us, replace the spring with a softer one. It is the spring that offers most resistance.

2. Not sure which shocks you have; be it gas or oil. Within an oil shock, the oils' movement is restricted by holes in the metal discs within the shock.

2a. On compression (force/push down) the oil is usually free to move, but can be restricted in some shocks - Compression Damping. If yours is adjustable, it is most likely set too hard and can be backed off by unscrewing; although look at your instructions for them.

2b. (not likely to be your problem) The other damping effect that all our shocks have is Rebound Damping; when the shock extends (car rises) the oil is again restricted. I guess on your shocks this can be adjusted. The idea behind this is when you go over a bump or hollow that it prevents silly oscillation; just imagine if there was no shock and only springs - in this case the car would rise after the bump, but then go down, up and down again; often a tell tale sign of buggered normal shocks or not enough Rebound set on the adjustable sorts.

http://www.koni.com/_cars/frame.html

you can have progressive damping, but lets not go there.

Always good to have a fiddle your self and see what you come up with; try different extremes, but...

*I guess they are also height adjustable. If you have them set to low and want to keep it low; there is a good change that if you start making things too soft, that you may possibly start to bottom-out, so go a few clicks/screws at a time.

In Summary:- I'd say you could back off the Compressive Damping a touch. But at the end of the day, you may just have to live with the hard sporty ride and enjoy your little go-kart!!!! :)

This maybe you: Corrado G60 55-85 9,11,15 FKKKVW57

http://fknorthamerica.com/downloads/pdf ... ge_048.pdf