Sign in to follow this  
paulypaul

BMW 850 CSI or Porsche 928 GTS???

So, if you could (and the chances are, you can) which would you have?

As a man in his mid thirties I'm struggling! REALLY struggling, so can you help? I particularly mean the models I have mentioned.

I actually woke up dreaming about this dilemma the other night and couldn't go back to sleep (I know - sad, but still a fact).

I'll still keep the VR, but have disposed of a Fiat Coupe Turbo and need A.N.Other car. The C will still be day to day but .....what else?

HELP!!!!!!!

p.s - last set of posts - solution was new leads and rolling road - 118,000m - standard with good plugs, new leads and K & N - 193hp

Truly best car I have ever owned...

My only qualifier on the above is remember the GTS was £70K+ car when new.....

....and it will have the running costs of a £70K car...

...then again I've heard the 850s are notoriously expensive to run and complex when going wrong too..

well i would go for the bm mate, but not the 850, go for the 840ci with the 4.4 v8, its got the same performance levels. but better petrol consumption, and its gonna be easier to get parts for, if a bmw v12 has an engine problem it will cost you mega bucks, good choice of cars though. 8)

M'kay -

Why?

I don't think the 928 will be more costly to run than the 850 (unless u get a shagged one)..

.plus the 850 is a heavy car- although less powerful you'll get more fun out of the 928

M'kay -

Why?

Just the look and feel of the car is sporty and feels quite grown up/unique in terms of sports cars, much like the corrado.

edit: the 928 is more of a cruiser than the raddo I would have thought

get a 993!!!!!..................seriously tho,i would imagine there's more of a sense of occasion driving the 928 than the beemer,much the same performance/costs etc so all really down to which you'd want to have on the driveway

8-series beamer would do it for me too, though agreed, the 840 is the more sensible version ;)

I looked at a 840 before I bought my C.

Just think, if I'd gone for it, we wouldn't be here today...

(Yes, that's right, The Corrado Forum maintains life. Without it, there would be no universe).

The 850i any day.. so so so always wanted one of those! I bet the running costs are just hilariously bad on them though! :D

Was I dreaming it, or does the 850i have the ability to disable some banks of the engine for efficiency on the motorway?!

Was I dreaming it, or does the 850i have the ability to disable some banks of the engine for efficiency on the motorway?!

Sure you're not getting mixed up with the new Chrysler Hemi engine? Its a V8 that can switch off some cylinders when not needed to help with fuel economy.. i'd be very impressed if the BMW had that sort of technology back when it was released!

Have you considered an older M5 or E55 AMG? You can pick them up for very reasonable money now!

Huge power and fun to be had in either of those...........

You can pick up the beamer for not more than the price of a good C! I was thinking of the beamer (again the 840) prior to getting the C but as someone said then it'd cost more than running 20 VRs. Then again, with the right rims the beamer does look superb. Plus I could "just" squeeze my kids in the back too.

You can get the previous generation M5's now for £13k!!! Yeah, they have astronomical mileage on them at that price but still.. its an M5!! :)

928 without a doubt.

A true all time supercar, and remember these cars were some 80 - 90 grand new.

It was Porsches flagship, it came fully loaded, and the GTS was the perfect finished article, after all the creases were ironned out of the S and S4 etc.

Decent GTS's are now exchanging hands for around 20 grand! In general, they have all been owned by loaded lawyers, accountants, doctors etc.... As a result, all their lives, they have been pampered and only gone back to main dealers for any little niggles as well as Service etc.

Those are the rims on the beamer that I rate - understated but still with a little pose factor! No idea what they're called but they are certainly smart.