Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

Pop + Smoke = ?

Trying to sort whatever the bloody problem is with this fookin car, so I got on my new dissy and went to start the car but the battery was flat. Got a mate round, put the leads oneach others cars and Iwent to start it, all I heard was *pop*and im sure it came from the air box. So i goto investigate and i see smoke coming from there, and i pulled out 2 of the pipes anbd smoke was coming out of them. It wasnt a load of smoke but it was visible, could also smell petrol.

Wouldve taken it to a garage but my pi**ing loan keeps getting delayed, and im trying my best to sort out this car but no avail :(

Sounds to me like the timing is all wrong.

Possible causes could be that the distributor has been incorrectly fitted, leads have been fitted in the wrong order or the signal from the hall sender is not reaching the ECU.

When was the cambelt last changed ?

Erm, I'll have to check up on that cambelt thingy.

But I'm very sure the leads are in the right placeas I put them in 1 by 1 from the old dissy cap.

Thanks for helpin mate

Im gonna chuck a spanner through this fucking thing in a minute. Nope, didn't work today, and the smell of petrol from the engine bay after tryingt o start it got stronger...

firing orders wrong!

Possibility as I havn't got a timing gun or whatever they are.

Did you check whether the cambelt had jumped mate?...

I don't know how sorry lol

If you take the cover off the cambelt and run the engine up and then give the car some revs from the throttle from under the bonnet you will see how smoothly the belt is going round.

My guess from having had a badly timed belt before is that it will be jumping teeth and look like its trying to escape.

Possibility as I havn't got a timing gun or whatever they are.

You don't need that for the firing order. Stand at the near side of the car looking at the dizzy cap. Firstly the the firing order is 1-3-4-2. From where you are standing this sequence will be anti clockwise. So find the HT lead from number 1 cylinder (Furthest away from gearbox), then anti clockwise from that the next lead should be going to cylinder no. 3 etc.

Can't remember on a valver, but suspect its the same as an 8v, when you remove the dizzy cap there is a notch cut out of the outside dizzy where the cap goes on, its approximately 10mm long, the cap has a corresponding lug which locates in it. IIRC this is adjacent to the No. 1 lead.