Sign in to follow this  
trev-b

Universal Oil Cooler

Has anyone on here fitted a random oil cooler to a G60? I want to fit one but am not sure on what type of thermostat to use?

I used the standard one (begins opening at 74 degrees if I remember correctly?). This works fine and lowers the oil temperature quite considerably. The only minor drawback is during warmup, the cooler catches too much wind at highway speeds, because of that it takes ages to get the engine from 74 to 90. I once drove at night, 10 degrees outside temperature, a little damp, directly from the parking lot onto the highway, it took the engine at least 20kms before I saw 90 appearing!

With my new engine, I'll probably mount a thermostat that opens a little later. Especially since I removed the oil/watercooler also, which doesn't help when it comes to a quick warmup either...

Get a Mocal from G-werks..apparently you wont see over 100 degrees.

Do a wee search .... :wink: ...loads of stuff on it.

Any idea at what temp the mocal thermo opens at ? Have one waiting to be fitted and hate waiting for the oil temp to heat up before I can really drive the car hard. Is it going to take much longer to get up to temp ?

What about water temps. Do they drop much once the oil cooler has being fitted and the water is not cooling the oil ?

Mine openes at 74deg, but the thermostats can be replaced by a piece that opens at a higher temperature, so that might be different in other kits. My cooler is a 16 row 330mm wide one. I wouldn't recommend going any bigger on a G60. Too much cooling capacity ain't good for your engine either, due to the fact that the water in the oild doesn't evaporate anymore, eventually contaminating the internals of your engine.

g-man,

do you just sell the sandwhich plate and hoses from the kit as i have the rad bit.

Yes we do ..

Ive got a 13 row mocal on my 16v without a thermostat.It take a little while longer to warm up but the water temp stays lower in general and can agree,the oil wont go over 100!

vw state you shouldnt drive aggressivley until the oil temp is at 50

Not using any thermostat at all isn't such a great idea. You'll want your warmup phase to last as short as possible, since your engine takes the greatest beating during this stage. I even dare to state that mounting no cooler at all will do less damage to your engine than what you're having right now; too long warmup times and oil temperature not coming over 100 degrees (thus not giving the water that builds up in your oil the chance to evaporate, thereby contaminating the internals of your engine).

This is true, but I worry about the temp getting up to 126 deg when I have been really pushing back in the summer. Catch 22, is there a way of switching the thermostat to come on at 100?