Big-ted

Seatbelts slow to recoil

Blimey, it all looks a bit different here! Not been around for a while!

Both my front seatbelts have suddenly started being really slow to retract back into the housing. (Cue either having to slowly feed the belt back into the door card, or other people just slamming the door onto the belt before it's taken up all the slack :mad: ).

Any ideas what could be causing this? The belt defginitely isn't twisted. I'm going to try just spraying some light lube into the mechanism, otherwise I guess there's some sort of spring which is fading with age... :(

Any advice much appreciated!

Try a little talcum powder on the inner part of the belt,also spray some WD-40 spray on the bottom runner,were the fixed part of belt runs, this helps eliminate the annoying thing were the belts get caught on the front seat rec. handle and should normally retract.

dont take the betl apart, i did and it basically exploded with springs and stuff.

I shouldn't laugh - but hahahahahhah!

dont take the betl apart, i did and it basically exploded with springs and stuff.

Oh, I had no intention of doing so, don't worry! :lol:

Not actually had the chance to try anything so far as I've been preppin' it for MOT, but I'll let you know of any solutions I come up with...

I shouldn't laugh - but hahahahahhah!

its ok, you live and learn :lol:

I just used one i had spear from my crashed rocco. there are a number of vag cars that belt can be taken from, guess its just a case opf matching the bracket etc...

has anyone had any success with talc? Dont fancy having white lines across my clothes! It seems to be more the triangular portion through which the belt is fed as it comes out of the reel. I've tried cleaning this with a scotchbrite pad, but it hasnt helped. Any other solutions?

Had this convo with Pat McCrotch recently. Both his and my seatbelts have lost their recoil strength / speed. He checked the parts system and they're obsolete (what a surprise) so the only option is to retrofit some from a newer VAG maybe?

This is what really p1sses me off with VW. There's not even a cross-over part. So what are people supposed to do if their car fails the MOT on seatbelts?

Isn't the seatbelt recoil bit just held on with the usual bolt? Would have thought any aftermarket seat belt would fit no?? Try securon, i would not say they are necessarily vw corrado specific in design, but i'm only guessing.

I would buy a new car if there was incentive to do so, but for me there isn't.

not saying that it's the best thing or the right thing to do... Just lamenting over the circumstances that the car manufacturers are putting the little classic car folk though :(

The only VW I can see that last used the metal 'rod' on the sill like the Corrado's was the MK3.5 Golf Cabriolet. I;'d imagine this would fit but they are even rarer than the Corrado :lol:

i bought a drivers side seat belt for just short of a 100 quid 2 years ago, i cant believe they would make something like this obsolete, idiots!!

looks like another part to add the classic vw site, to get them to try and remaufacture them.

I would buy a new car if there was incentive to do so, but for me there isn't.

not saying that it's the best thing or the right thing to do... Just lamenting over the circumstances that the car manufacturers are putting the little classic car folk though :(

I guess we just need to prove to VW that they didn't make the Corrado as weak and fragile as they'd hoped :lol:

I personally think this country's obsession with new cars every 2-3 years is daft, but that's for another thread :D

Only one thing will seperate me from the Corrado and that's if it gets written off. Then I will buy another :D

I know I keep making references to houses, but they really are the same as cars. Consider when our houses were built, most of the building regulations have changed (MANY times) since then and a lot of electrical and plumbing systems are obsolete and need replacing. No one buys a new house because they can't get an old Bakelite socket and rope wire anymore, or some cast iron windows ;)

The only VW I can see that last used the metal 'rod' on the sill like the Corrado's was the MK3.5 Golf Cabriolet. I;'d imagine this would fit but they are even rarer than the Corrado :lol:

The Mk3 Scirocco uses the same bottom rod arrangement with clasp and arm fastened to the seat. Don't know what the reel mounting point is like though.

Just checked the part that inserts into the seat arm. It measures the same but has a slight bend on it where the belt eye is attached. The bend to the lean the belt eye part into the driver/passenger slightly. Can't really see why this would not fit a Corrado other then the reel base mounting point.

A few Mk3 Sciroccos on EBAY being broken up (already!).

Edited by RW1