Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

Brakes!

Looks like fate has decided that my brakes will be my next mod. what size are the standard VR brakes?

I am told blackdiamond brakes are pretty good but they only go up to 280mm. Does anyone have these? How much more worthwhile is it going to 310mm, will grooved and drilled be better than going up in size? Any other comments on other brands?

Discuss.

I've got blackdiamond with ferodo pads, when the grooves/holes are clear of brakedust they're superb, when they're clogged up, which ends up being 80% of the time, they're still good, just not AS good.

The standard VR brakes are 280mm.

Mk3 and Mk4 brakes are 288mm but use a considerably larger calliper

TT an some Mk4's have 312mm brakes, but use the same calliper as the 288s

I've got TT ones with standard VAG disks and Pagid FR pads and they're rather damned good, if I do say so myself :D

312s is defo the way to go on the VR imo, or 288s minimum.

Same as Dinks on mine but I use Ferodo DS2500 pads instead. Great modulation, pedal and power. The only negative of the Ferodos is they squeal at low speeds.

Same as Dinks on mine but I use Ferodo DS2500 pads instead. Great modulation, pedal and power. The only negative of the Ferodos is they squeal at low speeds.

...and they cost an arm and a leg! :lol:

I meant Kev's pads cost an arm and a leg, if you search about on ebay, the 312 setup can be had cheap (make sure you're sitting down when you come to need new disks though).

And yup, 288's are the biggest you can get behind 15" rims.

Yeah, that price is superb comsidering they are practically brand new... the pads can be used also as the sensors can just be cut off, you will also need the goodridge hoses and 6mm spacers...

Alan - depends what size wheels your going to run but either way i'd upgrade to the newer calipers and the pads are huge, go 288 then move up to 312 if you get bigger wheelage (or what Kev is doing - swapping between the sizes for summer /winter wheels)