Sign in to follow this  
chaz g60

g60 timing ???

I had my timing belt belt changed at a local german garage yesterday . The car drove fine when i took it but the belt was due for changing. When i picked it up it drove awfully, had no power it felt drained!. I took it straight back and he set the timing, it was better and had more power but still not right, so this morning badk i went. He took off the rocker cover all good, apparently perfect ! , so he said go to a vw garage or a bosch center for a co2 test and the ignition timing. Went to vw and another 36 euros later they said it's fine and put it back to the belt!!. So the origonal mechanic is stuck but is taking it seriousley and tryin to sort it any ideas??

anything he might not be used to on a g60??

he said somthing about a second wheels in the little window he missed the first time??

I m gutted now as it did drive lovley before, If it aint broke......!

cheers, chaz.

may be a stupid question?? :silly: but shouldn't the ECU retard the timing or advance it for a perfect timing?? I mean thats why the Knock sensor is there is'nt it???

the ecu will retard the ignition timing if there is det. But if the cam timing is a few teeth out it will losing power due to the valves opening and closing at the wrong times. There is a diagram of how to time up a G60 floating around on this forum somewhere, I think Henny has posted it up before might be useful to give to your mechanic to show him exactly where the markers should be lined upto.

i found one from a canadian site, going to take it in the morning.

fingers crossed 'cos im quietly fuming at the moment!!

Just hope it's not one of those things no one can figure out.

well it's been back again 4th time !!!

he had the print outs I gave and it's still not right, just no power not as free as it was, I have to put it in second after a roundabout whereas before it'd be fine in 3rd or even 4th.

I truly am gutted!???????

i'm sure it is the cam out by a bit, but hes adament it's fine

he's having it monday, another trip to the car doctor 5 this week!

i wish i hadn't botherd i wanted it right for the trip to cardiff but no its defintatly not!

I take it your in Spain, why don't you drive it carefully through France, get on the boat and when you hit land you are not far from G-man, get him to sort it out in probably 5 mins flat and then feel the power on your way to Cardiff

I take it your in Spain, why don't you drive it carefully through France, get on the boat and when you hit land you are not far from G-man, get him to sort it out in probably 5 mins flat and then feel the power on your way to Cardiff

Now thats a plan!!

it is , i am coming back in a couple of weeks hense i wanted to change the timing belt first !!

would it not feck the car up driving a few thousand k's with the timing out???

I was planning a trip to "g-werks" while home anyway

g-man i would check it myself but doin theese thing first time by your self can be a p.i.t.a. ( i managed taking the charger off and refitting it so im not totaly useless just dont want fuk it up more!!)

Its more than likely that the ignition is retarding when it should not be, i can't think it would do any damage if you drove it forgivingly, but i am no expert and thats more supersition. Contact Darren and ask him what he thinks. Some people drive round in G60's for thousands of miles with timing out without knowing it!!

Just check one thing, make sure he has not messed around with any of the pipework and

a) you have got a boost leak, and

b) put stuff back on the wrong way round, particularly the small air pipes that come out of the back of the throttle body.

c) check the lambda is connected.

All small things but can effect the running of a G60 quite dramitically

well i got it back after he kept it over night (and drove it) and he'd broken the little pipe that comes off the front of the tb/ intake so now it's running ok again. Im still not 100% sure she's back to herself but she feels much better.

Going to hold off untill im back in blighty and then take it to g-werks for a good lookover.

Cheers all.

i have just realised it's idleing at about 1000 and not 750 as it was??

(why cant somthing just go right with my bloody cars??)