Sign in to follow this  
Jim

5th Gear crash a Smart Car...

Woudl a human have survived in there though?

Simple answer is NO... I saw this when it was on earlier this year... Better condition than the other small cars, but still nobody would've survived...

My gf had a smart in between her 1st mk1 cab and he 2nd mk1 cab and safety wise they are amazing! I have pics of a old tank of a merc that hit one as 70 smart car needed 2 pannels changin and was fine merc was written off! The safety cell on those things are amazing!

Yeah, but simple deceleration from 70 to 0 in the twinkle of an eye would kill you, not the usual problem with car crashes which is you impacting with something like the steering column or windscreen.

The human body can withstand massive g-force, more that a 70-0 decelleration. One guy experimented and pulled 30 odd G's in 1/10th of a second and survived. Only thing that happened was his retina's detached. Crazy mo fo strapped himself into a rocket sled test rail and got fired along it. You'd still be dead in that smart car tho.

Smarts are pretty strong cars.

Still wouldn't like to try either crash with myself inside :shock:

crash-test_merc-s-class_v_smart_july2004_762287016_neu__mid.jpg

The measurements carried out on the four participating test dummies showed that potential occupants in the two vehicles would not have suffered any life-threatening injuries. The passengers in the S-Class would in all likelihood have walked away without a scratch, while the passengers in the smart would have suffered bruised ribs, and the driver would have also had some slight leg injuries.