Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Got a new job.. but which co' car do I choose?

Got offered a new job today :D

I'll be working for a company that do temopary power, lighting and plumbing for construction sites... my role will be to develop working relationships with their existing contacts (contractors) and make new contacts while looking for new business opportunities and managing existing projects...

I have a choice of 4 cars:

VW Golf 5D 1.9 TDI S

VW Passat 4D 1.9 TDI S

Ford Mondeo 4/5D 2.0 LX TDCI

Renault Laguna 5D 1.9 DCi Expression

I drove a new Passat this afternoon and they are very nice so I think this will be what I go for but I'm interested to see if anyone has any veiws on my other options...

Well its obviously gotta be VAG.. think i'll go with Dinks and say a Passat too! :)

I think I would go for either the Golf or Passat. Mk5 golf is meant to be a good handler so that might swing it for me, but the extra space and possibly more comfortable ride in the Passat could be a winner.

If I was doing high mileage I think I would take the Passat.

Edit - Congrats on the job by the way.

As for milage I'll be doing 40-50K a year so although the golf could be more entertaining I'll prob go for the passat for the comfort... plus it's got funky LED lights and an electronic handbrake 8)

The only extra I'm aloud is sat nav - not complaining about that though :D

i drove the new passat for a couple of weeks and it is superb. depending on your driving style the handbrake can be annoying though. you cant just jump in the car and drive off putting on your seatbelt, the handbrake wont let you, unless you push the button at just the right time.

Also, its all or nothing on hillstarts.

Id have to drive the golf before making up my mind tbh.

I've driven the mondeo tdci and a renault secenic 19dci not a laguna but still close, they are good cars got nice power delivery but i'd still choose the passat as its got the best all round appeal and its the newest shape too.

never driven a laguna but a have been in a scenic.... dont like the renault's simply because their too plasticy and every little thing is electronic (but thats personal). have heard there are sh1t loads of reliability issues too, although there are "meant" to be one of the most reliable atm???

isnt the new Golf meant to be hot sh1t atm too?

Had a mondeo for the last few days, estate at that, as a loaner while my Galaxy was in for some warranty work, and fook is it fast, and it drives amazing the only thing that I didnt like was the gearbox was a bit stiff but it was brand new and could have just been a one off. Zetec TDCI dont know which bhp model it was but it seriously brought a smile to my face :)

would like to recommend the passat but I hate the rear lights with a passion :( and with that mileage the golf would be out of the question and a Laguna is french........Ill say no more

Aside from my VW bias, can also give a vote of confidence to the Mondeo's..

My mates old man works for Jag and gets a new Ford every year or so. He's got a new shape Focus now (ergh) but the previous was a Mondeo TDCI - was very very nice indeed. Refined, quiet, and as others have said fecking quick! Blatted down the M69 coming back from a club in Nottingham last year at 120MPH and it was as quiet and stable as it had been at 70MPH!

hmmm.... might go and have a look at the mondeo this afternoon then - I'm just not sure I can live with the blue oval but at the end of the day it's all about how comfortable/fun it is to drive - not what it looks like :?

New Ford's aren't too bad, my first car was a Focus, and although being underpowered, the handling was fantastic as was ride quality.

If it's quick too that's always a bonus.

Yeah.. it won't be quick - the LX with the 1.9 TDCi engine has a whole 90bhp :roll: The Passat will have 105bhp - still less than I'm used to but it's deffo making me wanna stay with VW 8)

Yeah, but when you're dealing with TDIs, you want to compare the torque figures, they're much better than the bhp suggests...

You're right and I can't remeber what they are exactly but the Pissrat still has more... having read up on the specs the Mundano doesn't even come with alloys but it does have cruise control - which I like... the other problem is they do a low cost sat nav package with a small mono screen and I know that the lease company/my new boss will go for the lowest cost! VW do three options but even the basic one has a large colour screen and a 6 disc glovebox mounted changer... (and you can't forget the funky LED rear lights :lol: )

Anyway, I've just been looking at the Laguna on Renaults website and it doesn't look all that bad... the big bennefit is that it will have climate control along with the colour LCD sat nav and the intrior/exterior has recently had a face lift - the only thing that puts me off is that my Dad is planning to get the estate 205bhp sport with full leather and sat nav so I'd always be reminded that mine was in fact carp... might as well go blag a test drive though :D

ive driven the mk5 golf tdi, its a good car, but it just feels a bit too smooth and unfamiliar drving it e.g. you dont have to brake for speed bumps. but imo prob the best of the bunch.