Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

Chassis twist

Hi there all

Just wondering if any of you have sqeaky interior mainly from the rear(parcel shelf way ish..)

Mainly going on twisty roads driving on curbs ect i notice it most and its driving me mad :x

Nothing is loose and im sure its the twist of the shell causing it :?

Anybody with this problem or is it just me being twisty :wink:

Cheers James

Try readjusting the boot catch.

Sometimes it just works a little bit loose and the boot doesn't sit as tight as it should and can cause rubbing/squeaking.

Funnily enough just noticed the same thing on my Citroen, from the same area - rear left hand side of the car. Though its a bit of a squeek crossed with a soft kind of knocking.

I've tried to work out what causes it but its a bit of a mystery.. I suspect its something to do with suspension or the beams that link them together because like you say, it only happens on kerbs/bumps or when making progress down some windy roads.

Though the disadvantage I have with my car is that the general build quality is rather poor compared to the Corrado and it seems like some body panels are rather flexible - they could just as easily be the cause, and they do make similar sounds when pushed.

Sorry its not really a post related to the same car, but I just thought it odd as I get the same problem :)

you should also have small foam pads that are fixed to the inside of the rear hatch and "cushion" the parcel shelf when the shelf and the inside of the hatch come into contact with each other.........i had one of mine "fall" off and for a while the rattly noise was annoying me til i realised that the mysterious bit of "foam" i found in the boot had a proper use.....glued it back on and then no more rattle :lol: :wink:

Thanks for your replys guys

Ive tried re-adjusting the boot to no avail.

Stripped down all of the tail gate trim and rear quater trim went down the road and still there !!

:shock:

Im going to get my mate to ride in the boot and try to pin point the area.

Think its going to be one of those thing im going to have to live with :(

James

I fitted a good strut brace to a friends Storm and we had a conversation about what was expected, I thought there could be no real noticable difference but once fitted we went down the road and I have to hold my hands up and say that the difference in rigidity was obvious and very noticable on the corners but one draw back!

There was a new twisty creak!

The stiffness the brace gave has meant that the roof lining or something up there has come to creak because of the transferred loads!

Hey you can't win all ways but it did do what it said on the packet!

Rear strut brace from Eurotek i think was £88 all in and looks the buisness!

I'll try to get a pic and post it on here.

Chris

Yes Corrado shells do suffer from lateral twist, as do MK1, MK2 and MK3 Golfs.

Nothing to worry about.

The only car I've had that didn't do it was an E30 BMW 325i tourer. Astounding build quality.

You wanna know just how much your chassis twists? Jack up one side at the front and try and open/close the door.

The only way to completely erradicate it is to fit a roll cage. Front and rear braces, especially a triangualted rear, do help a lot though.

Kev

You're supposed to open the doors *before* you jack the car up... Allows the body to twist in the designed manner, or so I've always heard. Also prevents damage to the doors if you *do* try and open them while the car is jacked up.

I'm dubious about adding extra bracing to a car. The chassis is designed to twist and move in a certain way, and if you artificially alter that, then you may wind up putting more stresses into components that were never designed to handle it. Let VW do it, sure, they have chassis twist simulations on supercomputers (like wot we make :) ) and can work out where the load will be diverted to...

But then, these are all old cars, so it's probably not going to noticeably alter the lifetime of the body shell anyway...

YMMV...

:)

i won't argue with you on this one skye! seam weld and make the thing damn stiff. after all, its all for the ladies anyway isn't it?? ..the ladies i know like a nice stiff ride :lol:

It could be your spoiler! When I bought a 2l 16v a couple of years ago it had a right squeeky rattle coming from the boot area. It turned out to be the spoiler. There are a couple of allen bolts underneath it. I tightened these and the car was as quiet as a mouse as the Corrado should be when all is well.

Dave,Mystic Storm