Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

VR Engine Refreshment

Although there is esentially nothing wrong with my car at the mo, I am thinking ahead with 130k on now.

Question is, what do i do? Taking into account my chains/clutch and everything else is original, we are talking £650 for clutch and head or £1100 min if you throw in new chains, and then the bottom end is still in questionable fetle?

I was tempted to stick in a flowed head and have the chains and clutch done, but now i'm not so sure, due to the fact that it wouldnt stay N/A for long :wink: looking at power requirements. So then we are talking transplant money +

So then we have the 24v route, 4 motion looking like the real world option for me, and then you still have the blower option once your bored with 240BHP after the basic mods. The thing that worries me is the wiring, who to trust to do a good job as my car does 20k a year, i dont want any reliability problems.

How much are we talking for a 24 install on the labour front?? Unless Jay is free late next summer like he offered recently for £££ss? Short of reading all your mamoth thread how much wiring is involved and do you have to put all the mk4 golf ad on lecy bits on with changing to DTA or some such system??

Some good questions Nick, can't answer any of them for you though but I expect to be asking the same ones this time next year. ;)

Low mileage 24v route does seem to make much more sense than trying to sort out all the problems with a 130k+ VR lump.

I've never really been one for engine swops, tbh purely ebcause it sounds too scary and i dont want to hack my car about too much when its all nice and cozzee and rattle/wiring problem free.

Then you look at Jay's and think umm, but then his attention to detail is rather better than mine could ever be! 8)

So what happens with the rain sensative wipers and all the other bits that the ecu says oh feck too im not having any of this and flashes lots of lights or turns the engine off! (my simple understanding of the problem)? Presume you could just pull the whole lot off it and run it as a dead engine on carbs! Or do they have variable inlet management, god i really dont know what im talking about. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I also want to keep all my original clocks etc, which Phat said he did with the R32. 8)

I've never really been one for engine swops, tbh purely ebcause it sounds too scary and i dont want to hack my car about too much when its all nice and cozzee and rattle/wiring problem free.

The you look at Jay's and think umm, but then his attention to detail is rather better than mine could ever be! 8)

So what happens with the rain sensative wipers and all the other bits that the ecu say oh feck too im not having any of this and flashes lots of lights or turns the engine off! (my simple understanding of the problem)? Presume you could just pull the whole lot off it and run it as a dead engine on carbs! Or do they have variable inlet management, god i really dont know what im talking about. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I also want to keep all my original clocks etc, which Phat said he did with the R32. 8)

Nick, frankly you're scaring me.

If it aint broke, don't fix it, and when you do fix it, get someone that knows what they're doing :D

Your car was a really nice example back when I saw it ( if not a little high ) and that was before you had done all the stuff you've had done at stealth etc, twood be a shame to rip it apart.

The 24v has an updated equivolant of a Shrick on it as standard.

I would imagine you can disable quite a few of the extra bits on the ECU that you don't need - either by updating the firmware on the ECU or just simply wiring together pins on the ECU so it thinks that something's connected when it's not.

As the VR clocks are electic rather than mechanical then I don't see why you can't get them working with the 24v engine. How much work is actually involved in altering the signal for the 24v clocks to the Corrado clocks, again no idea.

But if you do get the 24v clocks, you also get all the extra pretty lights and wotnot too...

Walsey, now your scaring me!!

As usual i am exagerating, im not completely clueless (no comments please), but its the eletrical side/ecu stuff that i have no idea about at all. I can understand it takes signals from the lambda, maf, cps, ns etc and other things to decide how much fuel to pump and retard/advance timming, but where all that is and what colour the wires are escapes me.

I love the vw bluey/pink dash lighting, but i have to admit to loving the corrado dash as is. Would settle for the ilume change, but i likes me clocks just how they are.

Also, going by the utter sh.t engineering and electrics in my old mans MK4 1.8t gti, the less mk4 wires in my car the better!!

I could deffo see the point if your engine was fooked...but 130k miles and there's nothing wrong with it..at least wait untill there is something wrong with it before ripping the innards out and putting a new one in.

?

Hay nick, blimey your keen.... i have to agree with Walesy, you engine was pulling strong on the rollers and at a 130 that's still young by many vr engine standards... if it were me i would leave as is and save ya money for a the conversion if and when your engine gives up ... but thats just my 2p worth and i can deffinately see the appeal of the 24v....

catch ya soon ....

It's also worth bearing in mind that although the 24v uses the same mounting points as the 12v, you'll need to hack the bonnet about and maybe the firewall too.

I would have thought you'd be looking at £3k+ in labour to get someone to do it for you...

Dont fancy the fire wall trick, sounds like rust to me. Bearing in mind im thinking i will be keeping my C indefinately.

Part of the reason is i want more power and although i dont have the money now, £3k + set up for the charger leaves a lump in my throat, although listening to Kev's on the rollers left a lump somewhere else!