Sign in to follow this  
toddster900

VAG Com Check

Can a computer check simply scan the system for any slight inperfections or is it a case of interogating one individual part at a time. I ask as there are a few little things bothering me and i was thinking of getting a VAG check done but am unsure of the value in this.

Any comments welcomed

Cheers

Yes, it'll scan all the potential errors at once ..

But don't pay the dealers for it unless you have specific reasons to do so. It's such a quick procedure they'll just rip you off - £50 for nothing..

Any one know what one is best. TThere seems to be two. One with a box in the middle of the cable, about twice the price, and the cheaper one is just a lead.

It's probably the 16 pin jobby, but take a look.

Pull the gear stick surroung backwards and up - the VAG-COM connector is under there, on the front of the surround.

The genuine Ross Tech stuff uses a 16pin connector, then a 2x2 converter if you need it, but I'd imagine the ebay jobbies are all much of a muchness - it just depends on whether you're likely to need to use the 16pin connector on anything.

Ross tech are obviously the best ones, but they are "expensive". You get what you pay for though. I bought a £30 job off ebay and it's been fine, functionality wise, but it's a bit flimsy and I wouldn't trust it if I relied on it..

For future proofing, buy a lead with an electronic isolation interface, not the optical version. Optical versions won't work with later versions of VAG-COM ie v4.09 and above.

For Corrado either type of interface will work on a VR6/8v but the 16v has defo to be the electronic isoaltion type interface for the 16v engine ECU.

It's probably the 16 pin jobby, but take a look.

Almost certain unless a 1993 registered late in early 1994 year plate.

hey, quick question, im gona buy a vag com wire off of ebay that has the 2x2 port built in along with the other one, my only question is what software do i use, ive seen so many on rosstech but how do i know which one 2 choose, its probably straight forward but knowing me im missing it