Sign in to follow this  
ChrisL

Fuel Gauge problem?

The fuel gauge on my 95 Corrado seems a little unsteady, it seems to drop under acceleration then steadys off when stopped. Has anyone else had this?

Mine does that too, and over-reads when facing downhill/ braking, especially when the tank is getting low in contents. It's to do with the position of the level float in the tank and the electronics of the gauge.

The solution is to never drive the car; that way the reading stays constant and your fuel bills are slashed.

Best wishes

RB

:lol: Nice reply.

But expanding slightly on what Roger says - the fuel gauge works on a float system which is near the front of the tank. So whenever you do anything that causes the petrol to move around in the tank, the gauge will move slightly.

You'll notice that the needle takes quite a while to make it's way up the gauge when you first start the car - this is because it deliberately reacts slowly to a change in level in order to minimise the amount the needle moves unnecessarily during driving.

Of course, it's inevitable that it'll move a bit no matter what you do. Just make sure you don't run out - there' no low fuel light to warn you ;)

Cheers for the replies. The gauge seems to move quite a lot (1 full segment on the gauge usually) even when the needle is above half, this can't be normal surely?

IFraid so, can be quite annoying I agree one minute you look down and you've half a tank of fuel the next minute you 're nearly in the red :(