Sign in to follow this  
markievw

what size battery

hi

i have a corrado vr6. what size battery will fit. i know the standard size is 62 amp. but could i fit a bigger battery?

cheers in advance of any replies

mark

If it helps, I had a 74AH Bosch Silver in mine and that fitted OK, just!

You may need to check at the shop you buy from because the AH rating doesn't always denote case size. GSF just let me try all of their Silvers in the carpark until I found the biggest one that fitted! And it was the 74AH one.

Besides, big isn't always good. Check out the size of the battery in the new Merc S500.... it's tiny, but it starts a chuffing great V12 ;-)

74Ah here too - much better starting & still starts the engine after 3 weeks on my drive, with the alarm fully armed. :shock:

Yep, pretty tight though! Battery out job if you ever need to get at the radiator bottom hose or rad temp switch!

Rather handily, the Bosch's come with nice handles to aid removal!

catch_twotwo, Depends which type you get - not all 74Ah bateries have the same external dimensions.

Kev was fortunate enough for his local GSF to allow him to try several different batteries for size. I work at GSF & just drove my car round to our warehouse & did the same thing.

I'll have a look & see if there's a part number on mine tomorrow.

Just wondering, if installing a higher rated battery on my 16v, would it be a good idea to upgrade the alternator to a higher rated one as well? or would it make no difference?

Cheers!

dcuk....i uprated the alt on my golf from 65a to 90a, it does indeed charge the battery quicker!

i found that leaving the car standing and short journeys would result in a flat battery even with the bigger battery, but now the 90a charges it up enough on my short journeys to keep me going

Yeah thats what i thought, short journeys have been killing my battery, worse now its getting colder.

Seriously considering getting a bigger alternator!

Hi, I've just called my local GSF in Trafford Park to get a price on the Bosch Silver 74ah battery. They've told me that Bosch don't do a 74ah, the nearest is a 72 or an 80. I'm guessing that the 80 will be far to big to fit in my VR6 so I probably need the 72ah, does anyone know if this fits? Just in case for some bizarre reason the 72ah would be bigger than the "none existing" 74ah battery.

They also said that they have a GSF branded 74ah battery, I’m just wondering if they were trying to flog me their own brand rather that the Bosch.

Thanks

Republic Of Mancunia, GSF own brand batteries are better than the Bosch ones IMO.

They're made by one of the better OE batttery suppliers to Mercedes !

Not sure if a 74ah battery will fit a VR though - not so much space in the engine bay for it as there is on the 4cyl models

I got a 70ah bosch silver battery in my vr, fits fine...

got it from gsf, they didnt have the 74ah in stock the time i needed it...

but i was told they can get them...

Just charging up the battery for my 2.0 16v as thought it might help as takes a bit of cranking to start her, and noticed that it's only a 54Ah! Sounds very low having read the other posts in this thread. Should I consider a higher Ah? And which would you recommend for a 2.0 16v?

Hi, forgot to post back when I had sorted my battery situation out.

I went to GSF to get a battery, indeed they didn't have a Bosch 74ah battery and they looked it up the Bosch catalogue and said that they didn't make one??? Anyway I said that I'd just go for the 72ah.

When they brought it out it was in fact a 75ah battery. I thought this was no way going to fit as all the posts said that the 74ah only just fit with a squeeze. I know that the ah of a battery doesn't determine the physical size but any way.

But the 75ah Bosch Silver battery fit in just fine, it was exactly the same size at the dud 60ah I was taking out.

Hope this helps anyone wondering what’s the biggest battery u can get in a VR.

Anyone...for advice on an appropriate battery for a 2.0 16v? Is my 54Ah too small an Ah? Should I go for a 74(ish) Ah? Or is that a bit pointless for a 16v?

I have standard 62 ah in my 2.9 VR6. Have had it for 4 years.

It goes weak after 3 weeks of not using car, but that is not battery's fault.

70 odd is probably overkill and a waste of money for a 2.0, I would say, kerrinmay.

WHAaaaaaaat - feck I just checked mine {silver top} and I've been sold a 54 from what your sayin I've been done like a kipper!!!?? so show I get a 74 ? will that help alot??? :oops: feck feck feel like a right mug now - belived the twat how sold it to me when he said "yeah mate this one's perfect for a G60" :oops:

I have push start so press and go pretty much, the odd time I might have to press it a second time - but she's running lumpy at the mo {suspected fpr} but could this be anything to do with it???? have had issues with alarm and radio a few months ago I spose would this be the reson? :oops: