Sign in to follow this  
White2505

turbo power output ????

im trying to kev but im lazy and delivery times from the states can vary.

Ill sort the pictures on friday of my turbo, fuel system block changes and methods (if its back). ill put my turbo next to a subaru one for comparison

ill talk about the sump and making a 16v breath properly and not blow oil everywhere on high boost. im gonna try and cover what i can and hope it helps people. what i dont want to do is mis-inform people which is why ive not jumped forward too much. its no fun without pictures too.

it all goes back to what you want too i think. some only want a bolt on kit to upgrade, which is not too easy on the 16v others want a full fire breathing setup. the one thing that puts me off it k-jet.

point taken on the 20v though. it can be easier and produce lots of power

Here's my old Turbo engine all made by me using crap second hand bits,used head bolts,used G60 metal h.gaskit,used porsche 440cc injectors(free),clapped out G60 block with big lip on bores,used weber/IAW loom+ecu(free),throttle body off an Alfa 164 3.0(free),cobbled togther 2.5 inch exhaust using bits off of Iveco vans,fiat croma turbos,thema turbos,delta intergrales,by the way,the ECU off a Delta intergrale already had a internal pectal board fitted and was mapped...,T34 Garret turbo+16 turbo manifold cost ~250euro for both.

The engine looks shite but i can garantee you it wiped the floor with modded Audi TT 225hp,S3s,M3s,cossies etc...(boost set at 1.8 peak and 6.8/1cr).

The motor certainly smoked a bit and it drank more oil than petrol but that was my fault for putting rings off another engine in worn bores and mixing and cobbling stuff left over.

damm thread been busy :D

ok like Kev said 20v easier as its out of the box but then if u were to do the work to a 20v like you do to a 16v JE low compression pistons, great turbo etc the 16v will be better engine going by past examples ive seen

for me the ultimate would be what http://www.ame-racing.de built 2L 16v trottle bodies and great bloody turbo :D oh and the slightly quick 500bhp its running now (site has videos of it running about 450bhp

I've been looking into this too, am hoping to get it started in Feb if i can find a garage i trust to put it all together. Original plan was the spacer gasket option but am now planning the S2 set up with (probably) t3/t4 hybrid turbo... havnt had to much prob finding the bits i need, biggest prob has been deciding on which set up to use as they all seem to have there good points... am looking for 220-240 bhp, nothing mad, just a bit of fun!!!!

a stickied thread on this would be fantastic - anyone?

scarlett - whatkinda budget u planning 4? (if u dont mind the question)

whereu sourcing bits from?

i have been lookin at this but struggling to find info on engines etc?? diff in work ;) :D !

engine wise over here you have 3 choices really

kr

9a

ABF

best is the ABF. 9a is good, im using one but the ABF is better due to its rod ratio. a good set of pistons is needed for ABF though as they aint as good as 9a ones. JE or wiseco as i got work well with boost.

for reference the ABF is the ABA the yanks go on about in 16v form. the ABA is an 8v.

The main problem we're having is figuring out what management to run it on - obviously K-Star isn't really available, and I don't think I'm techie enough to be able to figure out what the hell I'm doing with Megasquirt... :lol:

I have heard people say you can run it on Digifant - anyone got any experience of doing this, and how you cobble it all together? Or is Megasquirt not as tough to figure out as the website suggests?!

scarlett - uve got a 2L 9A havent u ? well if that the case u cant use the S2 internals that will only fit the KR block

as for the turbo thats a good one and ull be able to run more depending on ECU

I knwo there is two or three 16vT that turn up to Ace Cafe (event I used to run) running on megasquirt and really flipping quick incase anyone's interested

also GazzaG60 personally i choose the 9A as they tend to hold more abuse that ABF (know a few ABF's fall apart) plus its a more compact engine and good crank design which makes it more revvy than the ABF, but then there is some good ABF turbo lumps out there just comes down to opinion i guess

Yeah, I know Raj is running a blown 9A in his Passat, no? I thought the bore on the 9A was the same as a KR, just a longer stroke, so the S2 pistons will still fit? I know the bores need to be enlarged slightly though... Hmmm, maybe a trip up to Ace Cafe again is in order (once I have the new car of course...)!

Yeah, I know Raj is running a blown 9A in his Passat, no? I thought the bore on the 9A was the same as a KR, just a longer stroke, so the S2 pistons will still fit? I know the bores need to be enlarged slightly though... Hmmm, maybe a trip up to Ace Cafe again is in order (once I have the new car of course...)!

nope completely different design

pistons in 9A are bigger, also because of the crank and rod design means the pins etc are different distance etc

so it will not work

S2 engine is a 1.8 16v without the extra piston hence why people get the S2 pistoins and rods and put them in the 1.8 16v

no point messing with s2 pistons when you can get JE customs for around 300 quid a set.

i could only base my block choice on what ive been told and rod ratio. im using a 9a so im same as you too aposegil. the abf for its benefit in ratio wasn't justifiable in cash. i paid 30 quid for my 9a and nothing for my 6a hence reason im going 9a

megasquirt with the MSNS code is my weapon of choice. its cheap.

i am yet to do the mods to the board for spark and the wideband connection but i will document it when i do.

scarlett - whatkinda budget u planning 4? (if u dont mind the question)

whereu sourcing bits from?

i have been lookin at this but struggling to find info on engines etc?? diff in work ;) :D !

em, am kinda lucky at the mo that i have about 3-4k budget, although the longer i leave it the smaller that will become.... when i spoke to Raj he thought it would be possible to do the whole set up for £1.5k, tho thats with spacer plates, having looked into buying all the bits seperately I believe I can get it all for about a grand, mostly second -hand however, now I just need to find someone to put it all together that i trust.... am gonna have a trawl through some sites later looking for bits, i'll pm the links onto you if you want?

cheers

TBH i aint got a budget, just a few dreams along with a car change sometime next year... who knows.

Out of interest, what width are those Borbets? 7, 8, 9?? Any issues with rubbing?

Andrew

there 9x16... but the car is still standard height (looks like a rollerskate) so they only rub very slightly on full lock... new car is lowered 60mm so am gonna have to get it raised until i get arches flared asap as i imagine they are gonna rub constantly!!!!

TBH, shouldn't need major mod's dep. on 9x16" wheel offset, just get arches rolled and get it lowered on set of decent coilovers and will be fine (dep. on tyre choice too of course).

Cheers

Turbo and 16v goes like butter and toast. I dont think is a task a beginner should take, it involves some mix matching and fabrication of certain parts in order to make a good working system. If you enjoy that go for it!

As for the ecu issue if you are looking for reasonable power the digifant ecu from the G60 is good, its map sensor reads up to 200kpa or around 1 bar.

With the right turbo 1 bar of boost in a ported 16v head means more power than most people would run on a front wheel drive car.

I think this is a slightly cheaper way instead of going the standalone route.