Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

MOT Results Help wanted!

N/S Headlight beam too low,stealers reckon its knackered and they cant adjust it. Help Please!!!!!! Dont really wanna but a new one.

Front discs, stealer want £40 a disc so im going to get them from GSF for £26 per disc.

Re-test is next friday and tax is on 31st so emergency!!!!!!!!!

Thats a bit of a weight off, cheers mate.

Anyone got any thoughts on the headlight aiming, how can I check if the stealers are stitching me up ie can i adjust it myself and check?

i would never get an mot at a stealers far to critical! my guy jsut says yer headlights need adjusting mate in fact anything that doesnt make the vehicle dangerous i can normally persuade him to sort later.

thing is its all changed all the details of the test have to be entered on a central MOT website at VOSA so if you fail, you fail. I got a free retest anyway like i say.

The adjuster is probably seized on the headlight, whip it out and free it up with some lube spray etc. Get a 2nd hand one if you can't free it up and don't fancy the expense of a new one.

Discs are no drama, if you need them, you need them...

Sounds like a dream MOT to me! Mine are generally far more involved!

i can vouch for the fact you don't get two weeks grace anymore so be careful.

id get your tax on the existing mot the week before it runs out if i were you and you'll still get your full whack if you say you want it to start the following month.

Also lights make sure the bracket at the top of your lights is not loose and causing it to rock slightly as that will cause the light to be low. if thats the case try using washers on the screw to push it down (pushing the beam up ) or if its a snapped bracket / that doesn't work a temporary fix is use fibreglass filller to fix it in place.

good luck man.

Well as it turns out its fine:shocked!:

I got in last night and adjusted the unit without any trouble! I can't beleive we still have to put up with these a**holes who just try and make money out of you by hoping you dont know what your doing.

Other great stealer lies to get extra cash:

i asked them about swapping in a new ABS sensor at rear left - "When ever i've seen a rear left ABS sensor go its usually the ABS control unit, they're about a grand" - took it to stealth put a new sensor in, no probs!

ABS sensor seized on - "Were gonna have to cut the wheel hub off to change it, cant tell you how much they are"

When I phoned for advice cos Icouldn't disable the imobilizer - "It sounds lilke something more serious cos if it was the imobilizer it would allow the engine to start and then cut out" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You obviously get good ones and bad ones but I have a very low opinion of stealerships. I wouldn't let them loose on my car on any job. Monkeys.

i can vouch for the fact you don't get two weeks grace anymore so be careful.

I was going off what I was told when I rang the DVLA in a flap becuase I needed to renew the TAX on my VR just after I bought it, but my documents hadnt come through from the insurance company yet. The guy told me I'd be fine so long as I got it sorted within 14 days, that was about 8-9 months ago.

Well after calling them today he now reckons that it is the reflector that it corroded and as such projecting the wrong beam pattern. Im getting very :x with all this, anyone got a n/s headlight?

Al, check the bulb if the pattern is suspect, you may even have a LHD lense...

You can borrow a headlight of my G60 if needed to get it passed... let me know...

I'm sure I can get the discs for you cheaper from VAG than the GSF price (Neil may still have those ones in stock I was on about)

Mtae I will defo take you up on the headlight if that ok. As for the brakes if you can get em for less than 26 quid a disc again i'll defo take em. I'll want pads as well mind.

I'll speak to Neil - I think they were about £50 + vat the pair (I assume the £26 excludes vat?) - I won't be able to get until next week tho...

I've got some nearly new VAG VR discs in the garage (off Doms car) and a new set of FR pads if you desperate for them this weekend?

might be a good idea cos them i can fit em over the weekend with daylight and dont have to pay anyone to get em fitted.

Whats the mileage like on the pads?

How muchski?

Pads are new, discs have a couple of thou on them (were off Dinkus's old car)

I'd offer to help you fit but as you know, being out in the cold for an hour may kill me, lol!

Gimme a call - I'm in tonite...

I'd offer to help you fit but as you know, being out in the cold for an hour may kill me, lol!

:lol:

Will do, im working at the pub tonight, if you could bring them up i'll buy ya a pint!?