Sign in to follow this  
Talc

koni ssk springs too short?

I've just taken the koni ssk shocks off of the front of the rado (VR6) and the springs seem too small, you can take the springs out without a spring compressor, as they are rattling a bit in between the two spring plates and the bolt to the bearings on the top is wound down all the way... I checked before removal and they were seated properly when the car was on the floor.

Is this normal on aftermarket kits?

I've been getting a sound like the springs are moving lots on full right lock...

The rear when car is fully off of the floor on a two post lift are also rattling inside the mounts.

To hopefully resolve this i'm looking to maybe purchase some H&R or eibach springs to replace, but i'd like to be certain before buying.... :?

Think he is using the standard ones from the SSK kit. Can't remember what make they are.. og something??

The springs do have koni written on them and look pretty new, i'll check tomorrow to see if they have been cut though, and try and check the part numbers with Koni.

Pretty sure theres an MOT failure or similar if the springs arent under tension unladen.

I'm swaying towards eibach springs as a friend can get eibach at trade for me, although i've been hearing a lot of praise for H&R, are they really a lot better?

I have koni shocks with eibach springs and arbs on my mk2 golf and the handling/ride is good, hopefully the same on rado.

TBH shorter lowering springs aren’t always under compression when the car is jacked. With major shorter springs shorter dampers should be used. Most mot testers don’t fail cars for this least not in my area ;-)

Right, got some eibach springs through today, despite the Koni (have 'Koni 075' written on them) ones not looking like they've been cut, they are not as thick as the eibach, have less coils and don't seat as widely at either end, looking good with the new springs.

I now need to get some correct top spring seats?! they aren't available through GSF, are these a VW dealer only part??

The seats, or the end plates?

Just a thought - what diameter is the top (tapwered end) of the spring in relation to the top plate? the early cars had a larger radius at the top and wont work with the later (smaller diameter) top plates.

It's a Kreg (92) VR6, the top plate is blue and doesn't look to be of much quality i.e def not VAG, I quoted the year when ordering from eibach.

(Spot the difference ;) )

spring1.jpg

The top plate was about 2-3mm too small, but looked to make a major difference.

Going to contact a VW dealer and see if I can order these top plates.