Sign in to follow this  
tonertron

Sorting out my paintwork....Help required

I've been trawling through the search facility, and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I've got the old Tornado/flash red (not sure which), but it is in a really bad way. The paint has faded all over, and on the drivers door and bonnet it's really bad. Also, on the passenger side door, up near the wing mirror, the laquer has come off a little at the edge.

Can anyone recommend a good place I can take the car to get the paint work sorted in the Hampshire area??

I've seen in the searchs that people recommend this Clay Bar lark, and mopping (not sure what that is).

Any advice greatly recieved. I also ought to mention that I am a lazy git, so am not wanting to do all of the work myself.......and it's christmas, so I was planning to use some of my christmas bonus on it (about £100).

Cheers and a very merry christmas to you all.

Just as a guideline..... I had some rust done on mine last week, and a half spray on the car.... that set me back £450 after haggling. Not sure how far your £100 is going to get you. Good luck though...

Just as a guideline..... I had some rust done on mine last week, and a half spray on the car.... that set me back £450 after haggling. Not sure how far your £100 is going to get you. Good luck though...

I was thinking of some sort of valet type number..........much as I'd love to respray.........errrmmm.........and I wouldnt have the red again either.......anyway........so I was after recommendations for people in this neck of the woods that would be able to help with what I have rather than the full respray. I cant afford it at the mo.

mopping or machine polishing would work, although I'm not sure on prices. its like industrial strength polishing with special compounds, I've heard it works wonders but doesnt last forever.

Electric polisher mate, and just put normal polish on it. I had a whitey/pink passat same colour as yours. Bit of autoglym super resin olish and a days worth of motorised polishing and it came up like new!

Its easy enough, you just dont press too hard and take your time. I did the fidley bits with a rag and proper t cut, then polished those manually. The tcut is too much for the polisher, it would eat too much surface off imo.

Totally transformed an almost white car!! If i have the time after xmas i could give you a hand.

I thought there was a thread on this a while back. Contact john_wintle as he's an importer of Swissol stuff. It's not cheap but the finish on the paint after a Swissol session lasts for months. I had a flash red Polo years ago and it did the same. A clay bar will lift off tiny blobs of tar, sap and other contaminants. This will leave a super smooth finish onto which you should then apply the polish. I've got the cheapest Swissol wax (Onxy at £40 a tub) but I only have to polish my car two or three times a year. The tubs also last for ages so it works out quite cheap actually.

i did clay bar it first, then tried normal polish and it just made it shiney pink. You need the polisher imo, as you actually have to take the oxidized layer off to get to the paint underneither.

I actually dont know what you do if its got clear lacquer on though, i assumed my passat wasnt lacquerd!?

take it to a body shop,they will more than likely use a machine polisher with a cutting compound usually G3 FARCELA http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp? ... D=8984,you could just polish it but it wont last

Taking it to a body shop to polish and take the paintwork back, how long would this last??? I'd have to polish it every now and again I know, but some idea as to how long it would be before I'd have to do it agains would be greatfully recieved.