Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

noises VR6

hello peeps

having big problems today

first up i cracked my windscreen!!!!!!! god dam it!!

then yesterday when the car was cold i started it and made a squiking noise from the left side of the engine then as it warmed it went...

however today its abit loader and its not going aways sounds like maybe a rubbing metal noise maybe a bearing noise.... something is making me think its the water pump?? can the pump make a noise like that its its dead? is the chain on the left?? same side as the belts?

You mean left as you look into the bay (ie drivers side on a RHD)..?

If so then it's likely to be the aux water pump or the serpentine belt tensioner... (timing chains are on the other side)

yes i mean left as u look over the bonnet!! ( drivers side)

the aux water pump is on the other side by the coilpack? i changed that a while ago.......it sounds like its coming from the block to on the left of the engine cover or below it where the alternator belt is ........ its loud, louder then the tappets

It needs to be lifted, but not very much, I removed the front and rear engine mount bolts and jacked the engine. Much easier than it would originally seem.

Easy tiger - it sounds like it's the belt tensioner pulley bearing, which is a doddle to replace.

Depending on how dead it is - you may be able to just replace the bearing (about £7), but if it's long-gone then you'll need a whole new tensioner unit, which is more like £70.

There's more info in the wiki article

If the water pump bearings have gone, that usually causes the internal bypass valve to engage and you'll get nice puddles under the car.

Slacken the belt and spin the PAS, Water serp tensioner pulleys by hand to see which is loose and grindy feeling.

thanks guys

the sound is still there dont seem as bad today though?

it could even be coming from that metal block on the rocker cover to the left, just abouve the alternator? whats under there??

That block is the breather box, it tends to amplify tappet noise as it's the only bit not covered by the plastic DOHC cover, which has a noise damper on it's underside.

I fitted a plastic rocker cover from a Galaxy V6 and that has reduced tappet noise substantially. The breather is redesigned too so less oil find it's way into the engine.

cheers for that kev

just looked under the bonnet

i notice tat the second big pully has a slight wobble.......... its the big one in the centre....... whats it for?

whats the wrost that happens if the belf snaps or slips off??

The middle one is the water pump pulley. Just 3 bolts hold that on. If it's wobbling, the pump bearings might be worn out. If you slacken the belt, you can spin it by hand and a get a better idea.

yep its got a lil shake going on!!!!!! wibble wobble..........

can i loosen the belt by moving the alternator like most cars or do i ave to go throu the belt tensioner?? god that sounds like a silly question!!!!!!!

No don't move the alternator, to release the belt you need to wind a bolt down the threaded hole in the top of the tensioner, I think its M8.

Yep, needs to be a few inches long. There's a threaded hole at the top of the tensioner housing, adjacent to the plug lead. Wind the bolt into that hole and it will press down on a lobe underneath and slacken the belt.

If it is the pump, changing it out is easy and cheap.

Remove front and rear engine mount nuts/bolts.

Remove airbox

Jack engine up using a large flat bit of wood on the sump to spread the load.

Jack it up high enough so that you can get to all 3 pulley bolts, which is just before the crank pulley clouts the chassis leg.

With the belt still tensioned, crack the three pulley bolts off and remove.

Slacken belt.

Remove pulley.

Remove bolts securing pump to block and pull it out.

Stick new one in and then the reverse to put it all back together ;-)

cheers mate

but once i get the bolt down there will the belt just be loose, or will i be removing the tensioner?.......... i mean will it mean just a take the bolt out everything thing will be tight again?

whoops put this down for the previous

cheers