Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

more acceleration please!

So, i've just been reading how everyone's vr6 can do 145 / 150 mph. well, look at my face - am i bothered??

no.

what i want is acceleration. lots of it. so what about changing the final drive or gear ratios. i mean, 120 would be fast enough flat out for me (and may save my license :) ) but what would changing it that much do to fuel economy - it would obviously be worse as higher revs, but how much worse do you think?

i dont care about the 'comfort' factor - noise etc.

oh, and how could this be achieved?? does changing the final drive so its geared for 120 'change all the gears' the same??

is it possible.

i realise i'm probably spouting a load of old horse, but i want more!!!!!

humour me please ........

does changing the FDR do the above?? it 'sounds' like it does to me but i am a fool with a spanner and, like Manuel, know nothing ;)

I may have a 3.6 final drive available next week, which would lower your ratios to be more like a G60's. Some even go for a 3.9 FD in a VR. KevHaywire has a 3.6 final drive fitted to his VR I think.

3.68 gives you 90mph at 4000rpm instead of 100. Top speed is 157.3 at 7000rpm in 5th, compared with 172 with the standard 3.39 diff.

5th gear acceleration is much improved, no need to drop to 4th ;-)

Much perkier through the box too....

A 3.94 is your best bet for crazy acceleration though.

You need a matching crownwheel + driveshaft pair.

I paid £50 for my s/hand 3.68 diff and shaft. They come from a G60 gearbox. Don't worry about them being s/hand, they never wear as they're hardened...... but the crownwheel is £125 from VW and the shaft is god knows how much!

The shaft I'm on about incidentally is what transfers the torque from the output of the gears to the crownwheel (aka final drive) and it must match the crownwheel. You can't use a 3.39 shaft with a 3.68 (or 3.94) crownwheel. You'll get 2 miles down the road and the two will destroy eachother as the gear teeth won't mesh properly, so it's imperative you get the pair. Call Vince at stealth as he often has them lying around in the workshop.

On the costings front, you may aswell incorporate the final drive change into a gearbox rebuild (synchro and bearing replacement), since the whole box needs to be stripped down. If you've got enough limbs to sell, you could even add a quaife to the equation too!

I think the VR auto box has a 4.24 final drive if you want really looney acceleration :-)

still a bit confused mate. so parts for a gear box rebuild including new bits you listed??

about 500 for a diff isn't it?

4.24 eh? hmmmmm....

Quaife - £500

Final drive and shaft - £50 s/hand

Labour to fit above and rebuild box - between £250 and £500 depending where you go.

Hope that clarifies things better ;-)

thanks mate. fitting is not a problem. i know a man.....

so do you think the 4.24 would be too much, or bearable??

thanks for your help as usual BTW

I've got a 3.6 fd with VR 1st, 2nd, G60 3rd, VR 4th and G60 Golf 5th. Which I thinks spot on for power around 200bhp. Good traction in 1st and 2nd, plenty of go in 3rd and 4th then a nice long fifth that keeps the revs low when cruising at motorway speeds.

I had a 4.25 fd before and it was to short for me. I can see it being right for something with less power that revs higher.

Thats quite amusing - all us G60 owners that are modifying to a large degree are throwing away G60 gears for VR and the VR modifiers are now doing the opposite and binning VR Ratios for G60! :lol:

Perhaps we should start looking at a swap shop!

They are the same box, we're just mixing and matching the various cogs to suit our needs :-) Good old VW, they never change anything significantly unless they have to.....meaning easier swaps for us :-)

Actually, I got a right rollocking in mechanical skills once for calling gears 'cogs'. "They're GEEEARS boy, COGS are for clocks you moron...." shouted the lecturer..... see, there was discipline in my day :-)

i reckon there's 70 teeth on the FD and around 19 on the oinion (if its the end bit - can't see it properly anyway) which just happens to work out at 3.68, so looks like a standard G60 jobby :(

LOL - double-6s, you could have just deleted that post by clicking on the cross icon_delete.gif in the corner! You're pretty 'enter-key-happy'! :)

Just sold the 4.24 I had. Fitting it for someone now.

If you want a 3.9 FD, you could buy a box from a breaker to get one. 3.9 FD is what’s in most 16v boxes isn’t it? Find some suitable gearbox codes and ring around. Also someone on here must have a 16v box they've removed from there car because the gear change syncro's have had it. The FD would still be okay in one.