Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

:( still leaking coolant Help Please

Just changed my water pump today, not the most fun job in the world :(

Still leaking around the thermostat area but can;t locate where.

What areas can it leak out of around the pump?

When i pull down on the pipe leading to the thermostat housing i hear alot of gurgling sounds. I think one of the bolts that holds the thermostat right angled bend bit of plastic might not be holding properly, i change the water pump, the o-ring on the thermostat and the plastic 90 degree bend. But none of the bolts.

Just don;t know what i have done wrong?

From toping up the coolant the low water level light comes on with in about 5 miles of driving. :( The coolant seems to be dripping off the PAS bracket so i know its leaking around that area.

Any idea's

A disheartend and fed up Raddo driver

Hi mate...

Did you clean the face of the block well before fitting the pump?

Maybe change the bolts first as I reckon this could be done from underneath without draining the coolant...

I did clean the front of the block, and i can;t see any water leaking out of the top of the water pump where it meets the head.

Must be round that plastic bend.

One bolt was a little corroded :S

I know this may not be useful, as I suspect your Rado is your daily driver:

When I had a similar problem with my Mk2 Storm Rocco, I simply left it standing for a few days after I had cleaned up all traces of coolant. After a few days new coolant had appeared, and voila, that guided me right to the culprit (in my case it was the 90°-degree bend pipe at the bottom of the pump).

Possibly alos let the engine run for a short while, after you've dried away all coolant, to see where it leaves behind traces.

Tempest

I've just had exactly the same problem with leaking coolant and it was just down to the fact that I hadn't got the oring seated properly when I re-assembled the coolant elbow. The two bolts dont need to be exessively tight for it to seal, (M5 or M6 cap heads IIRC), but I tightened them both progressively to try and ensure everything was kept 'square'.

All sorted now, one of the hose clips came off and water went all over the serpintine belt, scared me when the belt slipped and my charger didn;t work :shock:

All good now