Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

vr6 turbo vs 20v turbo

especially with a cold air fed K&n on it now that is a lovely noise that does'nt up-set anyone through town my kind of car :D

andy do you have any pics of your 20v install as I didn't really get a chance to look at it in detail because it was dark. Liked the sound of it when you burnt away!

i'm finding all this insulting very boring i thought c owners on general were nice people obviously some exceptions i'm just wondering if theres a mod out there that may consider just locking this thread up :?

It's crossing my mind.

I think the better alternative is to delete the drivel and leave what was, an interesting topic.

it's cool i was'nt naming anyone, but vr6, that has made the most sense so far, :D

and yeah lets all blame james from bournemouth for starting it :D , not really mate us southerners ave gotta stick together :D

I'll go along with that. I prefer the VR6 engine note but you can't have everything!
#

yeah they sound sexy ... but you cant have it all...

hows yours coming on ...

biggerbigben

I'm sortning that out a the moment mate.. the cars in for a respay next week so i'll sort some out for the weekend .. cheers for the fans mate they work atreat..

ahh i took note of what you said about the zorst note .. and had a bigger back box fitted its killed the booming noise .. thanks for the hint

andy

Mine is coming on slow. I'm only home at the weekends so I don't get much time to work on it. I'm still trying to wire up the ems at the mo and I'm trying to sort out a good intercooler. The merc one I looked at is not big enough, had a chat with Pace just now.

I should have it all on the road by summer time. You do all your bits quickly! New backbox already, I only saw you on Sunday!

You will notice that this thread is now roughly 2 pages shorter.

Keep the thread on topic (and friendly!!) or it will just be locked, which is very unfair on the thread starter.

all friends again :)

so in conclusion to the topic am I right in saying that the general consensus is that the 20vT can produce big big power figures for a relatively low cost, but the VR engine has - dare I say it - a little more character?

i dont hang about ...

more power haha .. get a move on i want to have a butchers .. if you ned a had on the ecu i can d the loon for you bit a a wire monkey me..

andy

i might mate to be honest! I hate wiring, just can't get my head around it!

I'm using the Haltech EMS, done most of the haltech sensors but how do I spline it into the car wiring loom.. ??

Just thought I'd dig this thread up again, now tha I have dyno plots of dubsports 1.8t and also a vr6 tubo done by them too.

I'll post them up as soon as i can.....just you wait and see the difference.

Here you go I've got some scans of those.

The Green line is a VR6 turbo (done for a customer)

The Orange line is dubsports 20vt mk2

The Blue line is a standard 4motion!!!

(not to be out done they are building a mk4 with two of the VR6 turbo engines show on the graph plus Nitros and expect 1000bhp)

Jeez that turbo VR has some guts. 180lbft at 2k rpm? Climbing to 470lbft!!!

Meanwhile the 20vt doesn't even keep up with the stock 4-motion till 5k rpm...

wow that vr6 turbo is awesome!! 20vt not that impressive on the gragh, however we know that it can perform! 0-60 in the early 3's and 11 sec 1/4 mile!! @ Gti international 03. You can't say thats not quick! I bet the VR6 t will be similar figures depending on whether it as 4wd or not.

wow that vr6 turbo is awesome!! 20vt not that impressive on the gragh, however we know that it can perform! 0-60 in the early 3's and 11 sec 1/4 mile!! @ Gti international 03. You can't say thats not quick! I bet the VR6 t will be similar figures depending on whether it as 4wd or not.

doesnt cost 20 grand to build either..

Just goes to show that peak power figues are not the end of the story.....that particular 1.8T is totally gutless under 4500rpm. my 8v has more toruqe. I bet it's an absolute pig to drive on the road.

So when someone starts raving on about their "350BHP" 1.8T, ask them how much torque it's got at 3000rpm.....

Just goes to show that peak power figues are not the end of the story.....that particular 1.8T is totally gutless under 4500rpm. my 8v has more toruqe. I bet it's an absolute pig to drive on the road.

So when someone starts raving on about their "350BHP" 1.8T, ask them how much torque it's got at 3000rpm.....

Thats very true, but I like the fact that you can drive it around under 4000 RPM as a normal gti as mentioned by CaiosG60 PWR, retain good mpg, not be too noisy etc but when you need the power its there! Anyway in my defence I'm using the IHI turbo which will hopefully spool up a bit quicker than that.

Each to their own anyway. :)

Holy cripes....470lb/ft!!

And Birch wants two of them in a MK4! Nutter....how's he going to get it to the track as it's illegal to have 2 engines in this country?