Sign in to follow this  
markp

FRONT ENGINE MOUNT GONE

Hi Guys,

The front engine mount has gone in my g60. Would you recommend replacing with OEM part or is there something better I can use?

I am sure I have read about this somewhere before but could not find it when I used the search section.

Cheers,

Mark

Standard / most popular setup for the G60 seems to be an aftermarket front mount (Vibratechnics, or a solid mount from any of the reputable G60 tuners) and the standard OE mounts for the other two :)

Is it worth gettting the other 2 done at the same time even though they seem ok?

Anyone know of the cheapest place to get them?

Some people find that the solid mounts make the driving experience a bit harsh. If you think this is likely to be the case for you then the Vibratechnics mount is probably worth the extra.

put a solid front mount in. improves throttle repsonse and will be a better option if you decide to tune your g60 further.

if your putting harder suspension on you wont notice any difference in ride quality. i paid £70 for mine from JMR

I am getting koni TA's and H&R's at the end of the month. Can anyone tell me if there is any great advantage in using the solid front mount over the OEM one? The reason I ask is my mate who works for vw said he could get me an OEM for £30 so I was thinkin I might just go for that and save myself £40.

The idea is that by using stiffer engine mounts that you reduce the amount that the engine moves when you put your foot down. This means the engine starts turning the wheels quicker rather than turning on it's mounts, then turning the wheels. It also means that the engine doesn't move around as much when you're cornering, so you don't get as much weight transfer to unbalance the car.

Having said that, you will get more vibration through the chassis (how much you notice it will depend on how tuned your engine is, how loud you have your music and how fussy you are).

You also have to bear in mind that the twisting forces that would have been soaked up by the rubber OE mounts has to go somewhere and it's not unusual (on VRs at least) to bend the bolts of the other engine mounts if you have even the VT mount. Someone did post up pictures of a fractured cross-member a while back which he suspected was caused by running a solid mount with his highly tuned engine, although that wasn't confirmed and it was by no means a standard engine.

My personal thoughts are that if you're going for the Koni/H&R setup then you're still going to want something fairly comfortable and so an OE or perhaps a VT mount is the route to go.

To me, a solid mount seems like overkill unless you've got a highly-tuned engine that's moving a lot on the standard mounts and/or you take it on the track.

At the end of the day, it's up to you though - the new OE mount will be far firmer than a 10+yr old one and you have to decide what kind of trade off (if any) you want between comfort and performance.

iirc isnt it best to replace the gearbox mount with a solid mk2 golf diesel mount ? instead the gooey oil filled oem ones

solid mount will give sharper acceleration but they arent to all peoples tastes , some love them others say they are too harsh and change to oem or the much more expensive vibratechnics

if you arent too bothered then go for an oem , you know you were happy with that, they are easy to fit

Aye, good point about the gearbox mount - get one from a diesel Golf of some sort - I can't remember the specifics, but have a search and I'm sure the part numbes have been listed before.

It's about £16 from GSF as I recall.