Sign in to follow this  
madmansi

Help! does this history sound dodgy? should i buy?

Hi all

Just got back from veiwing a 1994 VR6 and doing a deal on it (pick up next week) so was all happy as it has full service history (99%VW!) in the log book all stamped up with mileage with original sales code sticker and a wedge of vw dealer receipts.

Just HPi'ed it they say there are two 'third party' mileage entries;

end of 1996 102k

and 2003 105k

-thats 102,000 in its first 2 years!? and only 3000 miles in 7 years!? HPi bloke said this is suspicious but could have been a data input error!?

Clock shows 126,000.

Car has had 7 owners, has various small scratches, lots of stone chips on bumper.

But no rust, drove perfecty, near perfect interior and mfa seemed to work ok.

I'm now completey at a lost what to do! -what else can i do? would VW let me have any mileage info back to its first 2 years etc?

Any help appreciated!

Si

At the end of the day it's a 12 year old car and, as such, I really would take it on face value. If it drives well and there are no obvious major faults it's all good. The important part of the HPi is that it's not shown as a total loss at any point in its life.

If you're looking for a car to use it sounds perfect. If you're looking for a car to store for 30 years in the hope that it'll be worth millions then you could probably find a better candidate.

Sounds fine to me :)

Most likely a data input error, if you haven't already done so then take a look at the mileage readings in the service history, anything with a massive wedge of legit history is unlikely to be dodgy.

What do the mileage entries in the service book say at these times? Do they match what HPI have on their system? Have a look in the book, and you should be able to see if/where there is a discrepancy.

I don't think this is anything to worry about if all the history tallies with the condition of the car.

Traders do HPi checks on cars and are prompted to enter milage, often they'll enter 1 or zero if they don't know it and its logged against the milage history. Guessing that was the case here but entered that.

My car shows 200k on hpi from a few years ago, was a typo was in fact 20k :roll: Just go with the condition.

Good luck and post pics!

Thanks for the response guys, going to check the mileage records in the log book. I've heard that these are easy to fake though -ie some how get a blank one or stolen one and forge the stamps and make up mileage to suit (in this case it could have happened years ago).

Sounds silly but where on the engine is the engine number?

Car is fairly cheap - bit under 3k.

Will try and contact VW to see if they have any mileage records.

Ok, I very very nearly bought this!

I double checked the service history with the seller and it reads like the perfect history nothing out of the ordinary, apart from the only mileage reading from the hpi check in 96 not matching. Ok so i thought i'd contact my local VW dealer, no luck as they would only disclose history to the owner, so called a dealer who took over from the original supplier of the car and said that i had bought it but they wanted proof of ownership, i then emailed the manager and said it was my car -couple of days later i get an email with their mileage records -low and behold it looks like it was clocked by at least 60,000 miles in around 96!. The log book looked absolutey normal, i contacted the seller and they seemed genuinely unaware of this and very gutted.

So beware do your homework when buying! -will i ever find a good'un?!!

(Car was advertised not too far from Bridgewater Somerset).

One of the prospective buyers of my car had a HPI check done on my car and according to them in 1995 my car had a full respray in burgandy pearl and that it used to be grey. I know this is bollocks because ive basicly had the car to a bare shell and the whole thing is burgandy, not a hint of grey, under the carpet, bulkhead, all purple, i wouldnt take it to heart man