Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

oh S**t !

Had an interesting journey to work! on the way my toothed belt for my supercharger decided to shred itself! meaning i lost nearly all power, no alternator and no water pump! got it back to work , and i noticed that there was water coming out of the expansion tank! i thought s**t the gasket has gone! would this have anything to do with the fact the pump wasnt spinning round for the short period of time the car was running without the water pump pumping....???

I think i have traced the problem down to the fact that the tensioner and the other pulley (modified cambelt tensioners) which guides the belt round was slightly out of line causing it to jump off, which in turn looks like it has managed to come of halfway and rub against the sharp edge on the cambelt tensioners that i am using to guide and tension the toothed belt.

anyway i have a spare so it looks like i might be able to sort it all out... hopefully. 8)

Running without the pump turning would cause the water to overheat. It won't flow around the engine on it's own.

I wouldn't worry about the head, until you stick a belt back on it and try it.

I assume you are running an oil cooler in all that setup?

If so then the head should be fine, but that is useful info for anyone using cambelt tensioners to tension g-lader ribbed belts.

i havent managed to fit my oil cooler yet!! the oil temp didnt go past 105 anyway so i think i was a bit lucky!

I managed to put a new toothed belt on today all seems ok, after inspection it does seem that the cambelt tensioners i used where out of line so i have adjusted (using various washers) to suit and touch wood all is ok, although i ve still got to make up a packing bush to go inside the cambelt tensioner to beef up the M8 Bolt i am using so it doesnt move, that is the main area of concern at the moment!

I can see why a wobbly bolt would be a cause for concern!!

Sounds like you got away with it - lucky it wasn't summer.

s**t again, i noticed i have go oil pissing out of the boost return butterfly!!! is my charger fucked?? or would this have something to do with the fact oil has been pumping into the charger without it doing anything when i had my shredded belt!!!

God i hope the charger aint shagged its only done 700 miles since darren rebuilt it!!!

was just thinking, could my return oil pipe from the charger be blocked? really cant think its the charger after such a short period of time??

I have seen this happen before actually when a serpentine belt snapped and a spring had been forced of the back of the oil seal due to a pressure build up . Pop the charger off send it down and ill take care of it and have it back in the post same day.

i will take it off and bring it down to you tommorow, is it likely i can wait whilst you sort it??

we can certinaly have a look for you.

yeah the seal had completely come out of its position! Was quite shocked really that something like that can happen! Just glad it didnt do any damage :)

Got my oil cooler kit whilst up there and a few spare belts aswell!

Cant really thank G-werks / Darren enough for stripping it down again without charge!

Only up the road from me aswell which was very handy!

Thanks again!

just a quick question? how much oil should i have in the intake system?

oil still seems to be pissing out?? not sure if this is old that was in there when the seal went or if its still fecked and pissing oil??

How much has you oil level dropped ? I would imagine quite a bit is still in the intercooler-pipework if you didn't clean it out prior to refittting the charger.

its ok now, i was just being paranoid i think, i have run it for a while now and all the oil has finished coming out of the air system, albeit all over the manifold again making it look like my car was on fire! 8)

Also darren i ve got an pic to show you with regards to the toothed belt setup! i have alligned everything and i have now noticed that the toothed pulley on the water pump is not in line with the rest of the pulleys it seems to be out by 3mm or so, as it is i can take the pulley of and machine it out at work to get it all alligned, i have a pic to show you exactly what i mean.

pic :

EDIT.jpg

Daz if you can make this out what i am trying to get across is that should this water pump toothed pulley be inline with the crankshaft toothed pulley?