Sign in to follow this  
billinjah

track rods

does anyone have a diagram of the rack and track rods i have mysterious play just wondered how the track rods connect to the rack and if this could be my problem.

I have the same problem from the o/s. I have found it is the steering rack though.. Not happy, but hey

ball joints as the rack end! I had the same problem and replaced my driverside track rod a few weeks ago seems to have sorted it :-D not the hardes thing to do in situ with a good 34mm spanner.

i'm replacing the rack and track rods - will i need ball joints for connecting the two then? got my track rod ends ordered too....

ok thanks for clearing that up :) since ordering the rods tomorrow - i'll cancel the ends then!

Luke FYI I'm going ahead with the reconditioned rack from ECP - going to fit it 2 weeks on friday. I'll let you know how I get on. Thats why I'm just replacing the lot around there - its not THAT expensive - rack @ £160 (ECP), rods (now realised with ends) @ £50 each (VAG), boots @ £9 (factor), new clips @ £1 (factor)...

Next CV joints and driveshafts...

cool your doing what im doing leon steering then driveshafts, i already done the suspension system,, that rack is a good price the only other thing id like to do is the universal joints on the column but they are pretty pricey ne apparently!

nice! although i'm not sure the UJ is worth doing personally - and yeah it all needs done - but unfortunately my suspension is still to do!!! I'll keep you informed of how I get on with the rack - and how it was doing the work :)

billinjahg60, I had it up on my mates ramp and was having a play. When I twisted the wheel side to side I could clearly see the play along the rod into the rack.

_leon_, For the ends I used GSF. Their ones are ok and dam cheaper than VAG. As good as OEM.

minkey wrench - is that a dirty one? ;) hehe

Bill I'm doing this job in just under 2 weeks time. I should be able to help you through it afterwards...

Bill, just so you don’t have any surprises. When you ring the dealer, they'll probably say they list 2 parts that will do the trick. 1 is about £45 and the other £80. Something to do with tyre size etc...

Rods come with ends from new.

I've just fitted mine where I had play and I'm thankful it was this rather than the rack. Combined with full geometry alignment, the car drive like new! All for £120 :) :lol: