Sign in to follow this  
dubboy

Third Brake Light

Anyone know where I could get the third brake light from, that the US cars have?

Does it fit into the housing for the rear number plate lights or is it actually in the tailgate.

If it fits in the housing for the number plate lights does it still contain lights to illuminate the number plate??

I know lot's of questions but never seen a close up of one to work it out for myself. :cry:

First pick I came across of a Us spec car, bit hard to see as the car itself is red. this is the bit i'm after.

koorado g60 hope you don't mind me borrowing a pic. :wink:

i'm a shavin mine offa there! haha... you guys want US spec.. we want euro spec :roll:

Yes standard, I think 3rd brake light was/is required by law here

and license plate lights do work

Why would you want to take it off??

Anything to keep the SUVs from running into the back of me

Oh well your car :D

Skye

I myself like/love third brake light here in the US. They should be standard, but aren't, that I'm aware of. A nice little extra safety feature and a little vanity, too.

Guess I'll have to get one, or maybe a new hatch, fitted when I get my corrado.

8)

I was told it was an all in one unit with the number plate lights, obviously not. Looks like if I want one going to have to cut a hole in the hatch.

Anyone know how the fit/hold in?

G60 - I know, just trying to be a bit different as not seen one with third brake light over here.

Personally I think it's time we had pressure-sensitive brake lights. Normal lights for gentle braking, and great big, fcuk-off lights for omigod-I'm-going-to-die braking... :)

Gives the guy behind a hint a little earlier..

dubboy... exactly, i agree. gotta do something to make the car a little different!

skye... ya they are required by law here and all cars now come with 3rd brake lights. i said i'm shaving it off... not that i'm not going to HAVE a third brake light... hidden in the hatch behind the glass.. a big long red LED one 8)

..oh, and i also have the brake lights setup so i have 5 brake lights when i hit the brakes... and then it goes back to two lights when off the brakes. use the fog light sockets for 3rd and 4th brake lights and so then the standard 3rd one becomes a 5th.

hehehe. bit far to ship a tailgate im afraid! if we did swap i'd still have to shave the marker plate lights.. movin plate to bumper i think.....