Sign in to follow this  
HiAsAKite

Stone chip from hell- new windscreen required for the golf

Driving back along the M4 today in my Golf, heard a VERY load crack (during which I ducked my head below the dashboard- I actually felt the noise on my eardrums)...looked up again and 1/3 of my windscreen had turned into a stone chip...

Quick- question- I have windscreen cover on on my insurance (and it will need a new windscreen- no repairing this one) however:-

Does anyone know how much a mk2 GTI windscreen costs?

Is there any risk the insurance co may try to write off the car? (car is only worth a couple of hundred quid)

Will it count as a claim for future insurance premiums?

Ta- pics of the damage below:-

eba00504202f00000003.jpg

eba00504202f00000004.jpg

unlucky dude... this is why you should always wrap your car in bubble wrap before you drive it anywhere - thank god it wasn't the rado! (think thats had enough bad luck for the year ;) )

Your insurance company will be the best people to talk to regarding how it will effect your policy - IMO every company is different...

If it's not looking good with that route then maybe you could source a good 2nd hand screen from a breakers and just pay for someone to fit it - I have a feeling that the mk2 screen isn't bonded but I'm sure I'll be corrected on that by someone else on here shortly :lol:

Got to pop over my folks once I've put the second coat of paint on Maliks walls so may come see you and drink one of your beers ;)

I was under the impression that glass is a separate part of your policy, so they just cough up for it regardless of the car's value?

Could be wrong tho, but it's worth asking they 'hypothetical' question to your insurance company.

Phil K is right, the Mk2 screen isn't bonded. A few years ago I got a mint screen from my local breakers yard for £10 and fitted it myself in about 15 minutes with the aid of some string and a bottle of Fairy Liquid.

If there was a prize for the most impressive stone chip I've ever seen, you'd win it.

Generally you have a separate part of your policy that covers windscreen damage, which wont effect your no claims. You have to pay the excess but from my experiences in the past it usually only comes to around £50 to £75 but as Phil K says every insurance company is different. (Check your insurance policy form it should say on it if covers windscreen damage)

Hope this helps

Have yet to call insurance co, but my excess is £50, or I can get Autoglass to do me a new one for £136.

Will check the fine print of my pilocy to ensure it doesn't count as claim before ringing insurance co up

Mate - we can go to Crawley scrappy this w/e with the Passat and bring one back... then just find someone to fir it cash in hand! Saves any messing about...

Thats one nasty stone chip!

I would be of the thinking that it would be easier and probably cheeper to buy a secondhand screen and fit it yourself.

GTI's and non GTI's use identical screens so it would be easy to get one.

Mate - we can go to Crawley scrappy this w/e with the Passat and bring one back... then just find someone to fir it cash in hand! Saves any messing about...

hmm....may take you up on that- they certainly had a few mk2 in there last time I looked...