Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Does this sound like screwed valves (on tyres)?

My Golf is driving me insane slowly. My front left tyre gradually starts to get flat every few weeks.. i'm reasonably convinced that its not actually a puncture is it sort of deflates fairly quickly from full then begins a gradual decline down to about 16PSI over the course of a week or two when it starts to become quite obvious that its off and my steering is very heavy.

When I refill the tyre with air it takes a minute or two of air at a petrol station air pump - and if I then disconnect the airhose and reattach it, its already down about 1PSI and needs to top itself up again.

I'm sort of loathed to get a new valve put on (even though its cheeep) because the tyres are starting to look low anyway and new ones can only be a few months away but if I have to go to the air station one more time I think i'm gonna snap.

you could take the wheel off and put it in something like your bath full off water,that way you will see where its leaking from

I've never had a faulty valve, but I guess it's possible. What makes you think it's not a puncture though?

I've never seen a bath tub (short of a bubbly one) that could fit a big wheel. Just buy new tires man, a few months doesn't matter in the big picture ;)

I've never had a faulty valve, but I guess it's possible. What makes you think it's not a puncture though?

Not sure really mate.. maybe just hoping it wasn't that! Hm..

Jim you could always check it by mixing up some washing up liquid and water and putting it in a squirty bottle.

Check for leaks by squirting around the bead, valve etc. At least you will know what it is then; as for a puncture repair thats a cheap fix too at around a tenner.

Sounds like I just need to get down a tyre centre and say "This tyre is going flat - tell me why" :)

Jim, they'll only charge you a tenner to whip the wheel off and check it. And seal it up if they can. (Cash is best)

However, be warned.

If you have been driving with it flat, even half-flat, you can seriously damage the wall of the tyre. Get them to pop the tyre off the wheel and check for powdered rubber in the wheel. That's the side walls perishing and means your tyre could blow out at any time - especially at speed.

It's worse with low profile tyres, but can happen on your 'standards' too.

How do I know? Read my blog! (www link below my post)