Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Standard v Modified

Hey! My previous car was a 306 GTI-6!

In standard form it would easily beat a none VR6 Corrado!

How do you mean "beat it"? Looks? In a straight line? Better handling? Did it feel as good to drive as the Corrado does?

They are different cars, the GTI-6 was faster, both on twisties and a straight line. (0-60 7.2secs top speed 147mph). 6 Gears! The C is more of a cruiser I'd say. Nicer on m-way but I felt more confident in the GTI-6 on B Roads. Thankfully the VR6 came along and made up for the speed!

Given a choice, I'd go for a C in my present situation. With kids, a 6 would be better.

Back on topic,

I know what you mean about go with what you like.

Jay, would you do all that again knowing now how long it took you? Also, would you start another project of that size now?

Hey! My previous car was a 306 GTI-6!

In standard form it would easily beat a none VR6 Corrado!

How do you mean "beat it"? Looks? In a straight line? Better handling? Did it feel as good to drive as the Corrado does?

They are different cars, the GTI-6 was faster, both on twisties and a straight line. (0-60 7.2secs top speed 147mph). 6 Gears! The C is more of a cruiser I'd say. Nicer on m-way but I felt more confident in the GTI-6 on B Roads. Thankfully the VR6 came along and made up for the speed!

Given a choice, I'd go for a C in my present situation. With kids, a 6 would be better.

Back on topic,

I know what you mean about go with what you like.

Jay, would you do all that again knowing now how long it took you? Also, would you start another project of that size now?

No way is the GTI-6 faster! VR6 - 0-60 6.2secs and 146mph , I thought the GTI-6 was more like 0-60 8.5secs and 137mph? The thing about the VR6 is that you don't tend think it's that quick because it is so smooth, thats until you glance down at the speedo!

I know the handling on the GTI-6s are highly praised but I don't know whether it is better than a well sorted VR6?

ive seen off many a gti 6 in my G60 so winning isn't reserved for vr's

ill have a quid my new 16v will see off the french box too.

regarding the mods. i like a standard body with a slight amount of lowering and a wider rim to fatten the stance. i like the bigger lip on the front but not when im going over speedbumps.

if i was keeping the car standard i would never have bought a corrado

No way is the GTI-6 faster! VR6 - 0-60 6.2secs and 146mph , I thought the GTI-6 was more like 0-60 8.5secs and 137mph? The thing about the VR6 is that you don't tend think it's that quick because it is so smooth, thats until you glance down at the speedo!

I know the handling on the GTI-6s are highly praised but I don't know whether it is better than a well sorted VR6?

Which is why I said a NONE VR6 Corrado! IE, not including the VR6.

I was a member of the owners club for the whole time I owned the car, http://www.306gti6.com

Believe me when I say it's 0-60 is 7.2 and 147mph top speed. I have a top gear download vid that says all this if you like. As well as everyone over on the 6 forum.

6 close ratio gears, 167bhp. Read some of the pdf reviews people have put up from mags. Around the track (poss 5th gear), it was marginally faster than the Civic Type R, mainly so they say due to the great handling and gearing.

I prefer the VR6, so no argument here.

Which is why I said a NONE VR6 Corrado! IE, not including the VR6.

I was a member of the owners club for the whole time I owned the car, http://www.306gti6.com

Believe me when I say it's 0-60 is 7.2 and 147mph top speed. I have a top gear download vid that says all this if you like. As well as everyone over on the 6 forum.

6 close ratio gears, 167bhp. Read some of the pdf reviews people have put up from mags. Around the track (poss 5th gear), it was marginally faster than the Civic Type R, mainly so they say due to the great handling and gearing.

I prefer the VR6, so no argument here.

Ah ok, sorry :oops:

Glad you have come over to the real walk of life from the French dark side.

If it aint VAG lets talk about women.

Are the Golf clear side indicators on ebay the right ones?

If not where do I get em from?

yes mate,ive got a set of clear..red..smoked just cant make my mind up which look best

Cheers.

Also looking at the Koni Suspension Kits for £390. Assuming no one says "don't do it", how much do you reckon for getting these fit at £30 an hour?

Cheers.

Also looking at the Koni Suspension Kits for £390. Assuming no one says "don't do it", how much do you reckon for getting these fit at £30 an hour?

do them yourself for £0 an hour,its an easy job to do

Has anyone ever body coloured the front grille badge? Getting my grill either coloured or replaced with a Rieger, just wondering if anyones painted the actual badge before?

The Corrado estate that was posted here this week had a body coloured grill badge (red), looked wrong in my opinion. Might work on dark colours though

ardandy :lol: -sig

my 2penith;

a mate of mine had to follow me in me g60 acouple of times, an would always moan, why did you buy an old car?! it looks so 80s! you should of brought an audi like mine blah blah blah.......

on the weekend i removed rear wiper,bump strips,badges, tinted the front an rear lights and changed repeters.(all can be done by you on the drive)

next time hed followed me:: i dont no what it is but i really like your car, its growing on me now , have you done anything to it? it doesnt look so 80s for some reason,

i didnt tell him what id done, just told him its always been like that. :wink:

Would like diff wheels and lowered but your talking around £1k just for those 2!

Briefly said, you could spend that kind of money, but the cheapest way would be to buy cheap springs, say £100. Do the spring swap your self at no cost but then have the camber adjustment done, which if you cant do this your self (quite normal), then thats an additional £40 to £80.

I found the 40mm drop on mine a bind on speed humps and also found the NCP carpark a nobrainer as it was impossible to get in. I'd like to find a 30mm drop set.

The wheels are purely preference and you could spend anything. I've got almost standard BBS which cost about £250 2nd hand. You can buy them off me if you like; as Im after some 16"s

You've got loads of people backing your 'Standard' idea. Im inclined to agree mostly, as Ive gone standard my self as I respect the car so much. However, I feel the age of the car, the high suspension that allows body roll, small wheels with large tyre profile, so I'd go along with chrishill. But I wouldn't buy regular chav alloys that are seen on any old box-hatch-back; the C can look instantly naff with those.

Sounds like good advice to make the mods simple to reverse. 8)

all i can say is...

it would be so boring if everyone had a totally standard motor :-P

although i can really enjoy/appreciate concours standard examples. 8)

neil.

for me, lsoing the bump strips, clear rear and side repeaters and debadging the front make it look alot more mordern and up to date.

Not a fan of the standard wheels as they just look too small in the arches, but thats just my opinion!

Mines been lowered 60mm onto my 17s and for me it looks right (maybe could go a little lower though!) all personnal tast though!if in doubt get your self some height adjustable coilovers and have a play until you find the look thats right for you.

as for suspension, ive been driving with my Weitec coilovers for about a week (500miles) and the ride is damn good better than my old silverlines ever were! give g-man a call, see what he can do for you!

Well, this thread is a little old so I've moved on a bit since first posting it.

I refurbed my speedys in gun metal grey, so the wheels are sorted, I'm going for the drop and body colouring the grill, rear num surround, bump strips and door handles. Also getting clear side repeaters and the FK Clear Smoked Rear Lights, or whatever they're called. I think Jays got them on his? Do look nice without the crystal ebay look.

As the phrase goes, OEM+!

rather than clear repeaters I've got dark ones as my car is the deep purple - I'd do the same on yours if its as per your sig

I like clear rear clusters on some C's, but I think mine get a good contrast on the purple; even if a tad old/retro looking.

what 'mm of drop you going for?

rather than clear repeaters I've got dark ones as my car is the deep purple

agree, i had clears before but much prefer dark