Sign in to follow this  
matth76

Insurance: Elephant don't allow chips or remaps

Hi

Elephant have told me they don't allow any kind of computer chips or remaps. So now looking to cancel and go with another company that does insure with this mod.

I've heard of HIC... are they any good? How good is their customer service and how cheap are they? Do they allow many mods? Are their telephone lines open till late most of the week?

Cheers for any help

Matt

Out of interest how could you detect a remap or chip if there was one present? Also how could you distinguish whether this was installed post your purchase of the car if the previous owner had not informed you.

This is not an obvious modification to the untrained eye.

Im with Brentacre mate. All mods covered up to 210BHP, and anything else like brakes, shocks etc etc are all covered. Got 6 yrs NCB protected, with the missus on as named driver, £600 FC. Beat that!! 8)

Will Brentacare replace the mods with the same mods or will they replace them with standard parts? Elephant will only replace standard mods with standard parts in the event of an accident. Are Brentacare easy to get hold off...i.e open weekdays till late and saturdays?

Do they allow actual engine mods like cams or extreme things like a supercharger?

Thanks for all your replies.

Stan...love your car mate...read an issue about it in one of the main vw mags recently. Was it relatively straight forward putting a 24v v6 in to replace the old 12v? Were there huge changes required with the exhaust or mounts or was it relatively simple to swap?

I don't think any of the unsurers will cover your modifications in full, unless you get special clauses in the contract...

Brentacre cover the mods "like for like" so yes if you have a 24v engine and a K&N then they will cover a 24v and a K&N, like for like!!

Phone them Monday to Friday, ask for John (superb bloke, from Swansea ;) ) and he'll do his best.

Matth76 what mag was that? Didnt know anything about it.

If youve read my posts, I cant claim anything for the swap, apart from £3k!!! Ive tried to learn a bit for the experience though, and even though it was a "fairly" straight forward swap, it still posed loads of problems. I take my hat off to Jay, Phat and Coxy ;)

i would also question informing the insurers of a chip or remap, unless its a very serious smash I doubt they're going to take the ecu to bits or run diagnostics on it. at worst you could have a 'spare' ecu in case of emergencies? yes i know it'd not be covered and its more than a bit dishonest.

Brentacre cover the mods "like for like" so yes if you have a 24v engine and a K&N then they will cover a 24v and a K&N, like for like!!

Phone them Monday to Friday, ask for John (superb bloke, from Swansea ;) ) and he'll do his best.

Matth76 what mag was that? Didnt know anything about it.

If youve read my posts, I cant claim anything for the swap, apart from £3k!!! Ive tried to learn a bit for the experience though, and even though it was a "fairly" straight forward swap, it still posed loads of problems. I take my hat off to Jay, Phat and Coxy ;)

Cheers for all the helpguys. Stan, wasn't it your car on the front of PVW mag? It may have been end of last year some time. Got the mag somewhere...I'll check. It was a dark red corrado with a v6 24 swap just like yours... very nice.