Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

Noisy Fuel Pump

Hi all

My fuel pump is bloody noisy! Its like a high pitch sound all the time, more noticeable when stationery. Its actually louder then the engine :shock: But I think thats just down to the engine being really quiet at tick over.

How much is a new pump? Should I get an uprated one, or is the standard VR one good enough?

Muchos Grassy Ass ;)

Cheers Trig ;)

How good are the VR pumps, out of interest? When I had my 200sx all people ever did was upgrade fuel pumps!!

The whole point of forced induction is to cram more air into the same space and, hence, allow more fuel to be burned. Therefore when running high boost pressure, like a lot of 200SX owners are, the fuel demands can easily go beyond the standard pump's capacity.

I have no doubt that the standard VR6 pump is well capable of supplying all the fuel a normally aspirated 24v engine demands. I'm pretty sure some of the supercharged VR6s on this forum are runing on the standard pump.

Like trigger says, start with the fuel filter.

That said, a 100k mile+ standard VR pump is probably not in best condition any longer. Nowt wrong with a new one though...

So if you're really worried a) change the filter and b) get the pump pressure tested. There's a pressure test take-off point on the fuel rail by the injectors. It's hard to simulate full load, 6k rpm and full throttle with this in place, but if you don't see the full 4 bar when it's revving off-load, you can sure as hell bet it won't deliver it under full load ..