Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

How long for fitting wheel bearings

Trying to get an idea of how much cash im gonna need for the work im having done at stealth next week. About £500 for bushes front and rear, laser alignment and some other small bits. Forgot to mention bearing tho so if i take some down with me how much extra labour should i expect?

Problem with the front bearings is the hubs need to come off so the bearings can be pressed in...

Rear beam bushes - you will most likely need a new brake compensator valve too as these usually need to be but off with an air saw....

damn it! how do i get myself in to these things

Steve, As far as the rear bushes are concerned i would hope vince will have included that possibility in the quote.

As for the bearings if im looking at any more than a couple of extra hours labour might be best to leave them mate. Surely they'll need to do most of the work to swapping the bushes over is it really gonna be that much more to do the bearings??

Are we talking about front or rear bearings mate? Rear bearings are a peice of p1ss, you can do those yourself.

The front bearings are slightly cheekier. The hubs have to come off as Stevie boy says and the bearings from SLAG are expensive, but are the mighty fine SKF variety. DO NOT under any circumstances fit 'VTECH' bearings from GSF... they are cr@pper than a cr@p thing being cr@p. My rear VTECH bearings lasted, ooh, 3 weeks!! I kid you not!

So anyway, front bearing change is easily 1 hour a side if doing just those and if the hubs come off....that'll be 1 x alignment on top sir, plus the SHAT.

yep if its front then the hubs come off.

I'm doing mine this weekend. My pass sidde hub was wobbeling in my hand :lol: So I'm doing both. My mate who does gearbox rebuilds has a 10 ton press. So I got a pair of SKF bearings of ebay. £3 a kit. Better than £30 a side. Its annoying really it takes ohh a good 5 minutes to press bearings in. Without the press forget it. haynes say use a vice err no. Belive me its a no.

It is the front bearings and im getting the alignment done anyway.

I just didn't want to run the risk of having the bearings go in a couple of months (as is my luck) and have to get them done screwing up the laser alignment. I am getting some nice shiny new carrier bolts, shock absorber bolts and brake sheilds, all to go on with the bearings, so i just want it all done at once. I was hoping it would be necessary to expose the hubs in order to do the bushes anyway, cutting down on the extra labour time.

What are the bearing measurements for the front ones? We supply loads of bearings to clients so might get myself some at trade price - in fact if anyone else wants some i'll see what i can do. Might be worth keeping some in stock just in case.

Definately don't skimp on buying decent quality bearings. GSF rear bearings last a few months on my car.

Make sure you go for SKF, FAG, Timken or another branded make bearing. The company I work for are agents for a German crane manufacturer and they only use FAG bearings in their equipment which has to be to the highest standards for safety reasons.

fla, I think they are on the SKF site... (and these are the only ones worth getting)

Sure, thanks. But what are the measurements (ie ID, OD and width)? The range and types of bearings are diverse. I presume they are standard roller/ball type bearings? If anyone has a set could they measure them up and let me know? Thanks

No Supercharged, they manufacture bearings for all sorts of applications so VW Corrado is meaningless to any bearing manufacturer. Hence the need for measurements.

Fla - sorry I thought you kust want the SKF part numbers as these imo are the only bearing manufacturer worth using and are VW oem...

The SKF site will give all the part numbers when you select a VW Corrado and also convert VW numbers to there kits and vice versa...

Ok bud if you have the SKF part numbers that will help - i cant find them on skf.com. Cheers

Fla - they are all on the webiste, just go on to the compass parrt and select VW Corrado...

I've not got time now but will look later if you've not found them

Not an easy site to navigate, but finally got to the info, thanks Supercharged, It seems that all Corrados have the same sized front bearings? Is that true?