Sign in to follow this  
veedub

Cat D write offs.

Im on the lookout for a new motor and I have come across a few repaired Cat D write offs.

What extent of damage would make a car Cat D?

On average most of the Cat D cars seem to be around £2000-£1500 cheaper than a Non write offs, Is this good value for money?

Am I likley to have problems insuring a car which has been Written off?

Would you own and drive a Cat D?

Ta!

I did!

my old VR was cat-d'd when chrisvr6nos had it due to a side/front impact. It was all fixed up with his payout though after he bought it back and drove/looked perfect.

it takes suprisingly little for a corrado to be cat-d'd. 'uneconomical to repair' is all to easy to achive if you damage a large panel, since the insurance companies will be buying new parts from VAG.

its good value if its just bodywork you can fix yourself for less than you're saving over a stright example, and remember if you come to sell it on, cat-d puts buyers off.

Well body work does not bother me coz my best mate is a panal beater/sprayer.

Im going to take a look at this :

Clicky

Best have a look a the quality of the repair!

Edit: link shortened - dinkus

very cheap for a mk4!

the owner might still have the engineers report from the insurance company explaining why it was written off, it'd be worth a look if he has since it'll tell you exactly what was wrong with it and give you clues on what to check.

Think its defo worth a look, I will ask if he has the report and take my panel beater mate with me!!

i would definately buy one, as long as it was repaired to a good standard its just a car thats been put back together!

mine is a cat d...front crash damage. damage was...gash across bonnet, new wing needed and front bumber and slam panel needed

actually mate, do a nationwide search for 1.4's and set the results to 'show 200' so you get more than mk3's. theres a fair few mk4's in that price range that havent been cat-d'd, so it might not actually be that much of a bargain.

Yeah I found a couple 2! Might make him an offer of £2400 and see what he says (especially if I go armed with a load of autotrader printouts for the other cars!)

I've got 2 CAT D cars. My mk4 4motion and my missus's lupo. lupo was literally half price, and cost me £400 to put back on the road. Mk4 again was half the going price, and I already had the engine it needed. still looking for a door, but that plus paint wil only be £300. so the car will owe me £7000, not bad for a fully loaded v6 4 motion with everything apart from sat nav and cruise control, still up for over £11K in the trader.

I'd much rather have a car that I know is straight chassis wise (because I've had it in bits and I can tell) and on a CAT D than have a car that's NOT recorded but has been in a bad smash. if you know what you're looking for, you'll know what's a good buy and what's not. but. Airbags going off seems to push most cars straight into the write off section due mainly to cost, so you can get some right bargains with very little repair work needed.

It does put people off though, so you will have trouble trying to sell them on again (although you don't have to declare it unless you're a trader!). I can't give my lupo away (going on ebay tonight actually!)

I'll never buy a "normal" car again, they are a waste of money.

I suppose it's handy that I work 100yards away from one of the biggest breakers and salvage yards in the UK :-) I just can't help myself!

My C was Cat D Oct 03 after a rear shunt.The repair carried out was first class and although initially i thought of getting rid i held onto her and am so glad i did.Am thinking of selling her now though and would have no qualms of declaring the Cat D as the repair has no adverse bearing at all on the car.As said earlier due to high VAG replacement parts Cs are easily made Cat Ds.Moral being good repair=no issues.As PhatVr6 says at least with a Cat D declaration you know whats been done.

Yep - my VR was CAT-D due to damage to inner and outer wing and bonnet.

I have a copy of the full inspection that was done - i.e. it showed it had passed an alignment check and stated all the bits that were damaged and in need of replacement (just panels, paint and persuation of inner wing).

The look on my friends faces when I mentioned its a write off at high speed was quite funny tho.

Is a very good way of picking up good motors for a bit less money. In fact I doubt I'd ever buy anything else now - theres so much to save. I bought mine repaired, but I would consider repairing basic bodywork myself in future (swapping panels etc).

In fact I'm considering a Lotus Elise in need of another clamshell at the moment (paint and bolt off, bolt on).

As long as your happy expecting a lower price when you sell, the lower price that you pay makes it worthwhile. Main thing is knowing what made it a Cat D.

There one Cat D i wouldnt mind a crack at :norty: